myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Oahu vs Big Island windsurfing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday A-Bay was goin' off. 4-5 kiters on 12 meter kites getting blown off the water. It looked 5.0 to me. Wish I had some gear. I asked at the beach concession and they gave me a number of someone who rents gear, and pointed me to a kiter on the beach who did the same. He said he didn't but pointed me to another kiter who just came in after losing her board. I spoke to her and she said she had gear but it was up in Waikoloa, about 7 miles away. So if you get there early and ask around you might be able to find some gear to use, but it won't be good quality I'm sure. I think that's the way to do it, find someone on the island that has gear and borrow it. They said this wind pattern is caused by an incoming storm from the east, drawing air from the west. Strange thing is is that this was the first day the trades kicked in, which blow from the east. Up on the hill the wind was from the east and on the water it was from the west. Apparently there is a spot down by the Kona airport where lots of sailors go, and South Point is good too. But that's 4 wheel drive and not a friendly launch.

Steve
flynbri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basic TRANSLATION:

Kanaha- Full on wind, multiple conditions, nice beaches..gear everywhere!
Kailua - Nice wind, average conditions, gear available
Kona - Occasional wind, lava rock entry, no gear eacept your own.

Go to Maui! Rolling Eyes
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is the OP is going to Oahu, not Maui.
And Oahu has windsurfing challenges that far exceed that of Maui, most of which have been on vid for years.
Maui is basically the Hoops, Sprecks, Kanaha, ThousandPeaks, and some Kona spots.
Oahu has twice or more spots that can easily be windsurfed, and that's only on the normal light trades.
On any given swell day during the winter months, you can surfsail 7thHole, Revelations, Backyards, (won't recomend Sunset thru Haliewa due to surfers), Avalanche, Moks (Lost Beach), in addition to the normal Hukilau (BrighamYoungBeach), Kaneohe, CrouchingLion, Kailua, Lanikai, and E shore spots like Mekena, Brownies, DH.
Just much more variety and choice, and the only penalty is needing a 6 meter sail and a uphaulable board (85 liters for a 150 lbs rider).
bradley1975

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: big island Reply with quote

"I've sailed here for 20 years, and its the best kept secert in Windsurfing, way windier than Maui...your not a writer are you"

That was a qoute from a guy on the beach, he rip top to bottom turns as well. I told him i would never tell location. Although its so remote knowone ever goes except a few locals. One clue ....near the wind mills!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: