myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Oahu vs Big Island windsurfing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zooo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Oahu vs Big Island windsurfing Reply with quote

Heading over to Hawaii in mid -december and I was wondering which island is better for windsurfing at that time of year- specific spots etc. I am also looking for onsight shops that rent gear since flying over the whole kit seems unrealistic. Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers!!!

Z.
carl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help make up your mind:
Oahu has rentals (at Kailua) and the big island doesn't have any rentals.
Of course, Maui is best for wind and rentals, but I noticed that was not one of your options.
DAVIBO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: rentals @ Kailua Reply with quote

get your sails from Kailua sailboard (on the beach) and your board from Naish about 1/2 mile away - the boards the guys have at the beach are horrible and full of water (about 12 yrs old)
tomg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Big Island board rental Reply with quote

Also if you really need a fix, some of boat and snorkel rental shops at the resorts may have light wind grear. Not likley to be modern high wind stuff though. My one trip to the Big Island I didn't see any shops renting gear but I did end up renting a rig from an on-the-beach outfit. It was older stuff and the wind was moderate but still worth the effort. It was on or near the Marriott as I recall.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might sound hard to believe, but Hawaii basically has no planing winds, or less than 30 days a year. Steep beaches, rocky coves, disturb what little wind there is.
Oahu, OTOH, is one of the best windsurfing destination locations in the world if you can handle using a 5.7 sail and a 100 liter board (175lbs'ers).
From Kailua to BrighamYoungBeach (Hukilau), to 7thHole, TurtleBay, OopsSt. ('yards), down to Moks, then over to the Pearl City side for some slalom action off the airport, to DiamondHead, then down the hill to Mekena off the old Intercontinental Hotel, it's pretty expected you'll find wind at least 1/3 of the days in Dec if you can handle some surf also.
I think Maui blows a lot harder in Dec than Oahu, but Oahu can have more days of 12-20mph wind sailing.
Zooo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful infos! thanks all- Maui was not part of my original destination but it is not out of the question- especially now hearing that it may really be the place to go for more reliable wind. 5.7 and 100 litres is totally fine. But I do typically winsurf the SF bay not open ocean... In that case, I'd be curious to hear more on Maui recommendations!

To zirtaeb, what does Otoh refer to (local name of a spot? could not find reference on line...)

Cheers,

Z.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTOH, on the other hand.
I'm a Berkeley sailor, been for the last 15 years.
Used to have a key to Backyards, in the late '80's, and flew over maybe 4 times a year for a month or more each time for 6 years.
I started sailing at 7th hole and Hukilau starting around '87, the only sailor there. NONE of the Kailua sailors ever even heard of windsurfing there, including the famous TomStone (Pipeline legend, dad of Jason and Josh).
I've windsurfed Avalanche (outside Haliewa) at quad overhead, Phantoms and Revelations from Backyard, and once made a venture out to Himalaya's starting out at Turtle Bay Hilton and going downwind a mile.
Yeah, I've been stuck outside in some pretty wierd places, but I'm a surfer from the '60's, so should be able to handle as long as I ditch my rig.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailing Kanaha is like sailing the bay only 30 degrees warmer, blue water, girls in bikinis, and no boats.

Kanaha has a lifeguard with a jet ski if you have trouble. You can sail inside without ever being near a wave. You can sneak outside to catch a wave, or if it is huge surf can stay outside and catch the wave of your life. Or stay inside the surf and crank half mile runs up and down the coast.

Oahu has less wind and I don't remember if there is a beach that is as usable as Kanaha. I've sailed the Big island, and it's not worth going there to sail for many reasons.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanaha being Maui, of course, like Sprecks, easy inside the reef head deep sailing with some shallower parts and mellow waves inside.
Kauilua you've seen on vids, the mellowest windsurfing possible, except maybe for a shorebreak which often catches beginner's unawares.
Backyards has a safe channel up to 25' swells, and only timing needed to make it in and out once it's bigger.
Kahala, where the Intercontinental was, is a tricky river outlet, with a couple of no nonsense tacks required to make it into the channel. Once out, it's pure port tack wave sailing.
Moks is Lost, shifty shorebreak working on easterly sideshore winds. Can be big in winter, or small, you gotta check it out.
Hukilau is pretty safe, just past MaleakahanaBeach, but anywhere can be spooky of the swell is over 10'.
Don't bother windsurfing Jocko's, Chuns, Laniakia, Ehukai, Rocky's, or Sunset, unless you like hassles with surfers. Avoid pinching upwind and sailing inside Revelations, as that's the holyland of surfers.
I've never seen consistent wind at the SW shore, but have rigged up at Yokohoma's only to see the side off winds slowly wind down. That day, some spots W of Makaha looked doable, but reefy full of surfers.
ctuna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Almost no windsurfing on the big island(island of Hawaii) Reply with quote

I don't think there are any windsurfing shops anymore on the big island.
There used to be a kind of ripoff rental place on one of the
Kona Beaches with 10 year old equipment rented at 50 bucks and hour
I don't know if that's there anymore.
There are a few locals that do it but its rare .
That's why windsurfing on the big island only appeared once in a Windsurfing magazine.
If you really want a chance go to Maui.

Last edited by ctuna on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: