myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2 days on the wing thing.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly Sept until the end Nov. Are the best foiling days at the lake. By the end of Oct. Its pretty much foiling only with warm steady 15 plus winds. Just wind toys out and no beach crowd. issue this year is water. Again
bert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novaan,

Good that another septuagenarian is taking up the wing. Seems that you are both determined and in reasonably good shape that with a few more sessions you'll probably figure it out. It took me almost 20 sessions to finally get up and going because of my osteoarthritic knees. Quite honestly, I was about to give up, but I toughed it out (baby boomer stubbornness) and after much effort, finally got over the hump. Once you get there you'll feel more "free" while on the wing foil.., and you may end up preferring the wing to the windfoil. In the beginning It does help to use bigger foilboard ( 130 L-140 L) before downsizing to a 100 L or less. Good luck.

bert
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Bert. I'm pretty sure the foiling part will come pretty quick once I get the knee to feet thing worked out. I guess its just like learning to water start. Once you get it you wonder why it took so long to learn. Glad to know you got it going. What size HHW are you using in what wind speeds? Seems like I need more wind then I thought to make it work. 5.4 Sling Shot in 15/20 seems right for now. I think...
bert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novaan,
It does help to have light winds and flat water to train your leg muscles to go from kneeling to stand up position on a tipsy board. Once you are up you need stronger winds 15-20 to activate the foil and learn to ride with the wing. I did my "training" at Candlestick San Francisco where you get gusty winds from 15-25 mph depending on the time of day. I've been using a 130L JP Free foil and a Naish 4.6 S25 wing. My foil is the Moses 1100 wing with a 82 cm mast. I plan go to a smaller Naish sup foil soon.

wing at the Stick.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.99 KB
 Viewed:  6288 Time(s)

wing at the Stick.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 35 year olds talk about practicing getting up, shouldn't 70 year old heed that advice?
Unless you can ride a 6'4" shortboard in 6' waves and excell at it.
skonoplev

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Practicing Reply with quote

Nothing is wrong with practicing for anyone, but I think that the right way to get up is to use the pull of a wing rather than the strength of your legs. To me it is similar to the deep water start of a regular windsurfing: the wind does all the work. I doubt you could practice deep water start in your room.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice picture. I have windsurfer there a few times on trips to Rio Vista. It was lots of fun.
So for me its not leg strength. I'm in the gym 4/5 days a week in the off season. Still ride my mountain bike regularly. Back in the day I was a college gymnast. Its flexibility and balance. I hate to admit that age plays a part as well as the injuries that go along with all the "fun" I had in the past. Not complaining. Wouldn't change a thing. Ok maybe the one big dirt bike crash. Things like surfing, skiing, windsurfing came easy back then. I love the fact that new fun things are still coming out to try even at 70.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I can water start a small sail in pretty lite winds on a small board. Of course I have had 35 plus years to work it out. I don't even think about what I need to do. So far, still on day two, with the wing over head I feel no up ward pull to help lift. Any suggestions on how to sheet the wing to get that lift
would be greatly appreciated. I did do two last time but it was all legs no lift from the wing.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still don't get it.
With watestarts, .."the wind pulls you up" ...practice that, you'd need 20 mph wind to waterstart with a 6.0.
With wing, agility and balance is needed. Nobody is saying you're TOO WEAK to get up. You need to learn to standup in full balance without upsetting the cart.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I say kitesurfers have a huge headstart.
Still, need 7 mph breeze to fly wing overhead.
Then sheet in like a parachute and pump the wing for vertical lift. Stand up in balance. Now sheet out a bit to transfer to a combination of vert and forward lift, and pump.
Skip pumping in 25 mph wind and 5 meter wings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: