myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2 days on the wing thing.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: 2 days on the wing thing. Reply with quote

Got almost 3 years on my windsurf foil board. The first day out I was up on the foil and having fun. It seemed to be a very easy progression.
First day on my hand held wing and a 125 wing foil board was difficult. I'm on a small lake and the wind was side with a bit of on shore flow. I got down wind quickly every time and had to walk back up wind. I was on my knees all day. I was using a 5.4 HHW in winds that i would be windsurf foiling on a 4.7 and well powered. My wing board seem less stable than my Naish 122 foil board. Tried to make a turn on the outside and just got more down wind and fell. An hour and a half and my knees and back were done. Reminded me of 1981 and the first days windsurfing.
Day 2 on the same set up. Was able to stay up wind better on my knees and got back to the launch most of the time. I got to my feet and up hauled the wing. Very easy to do. On my feet I could get more power from the wing and up wind was better. Non foiling turns not so much. The most difficult part was getting from my knees to my feet. You need to be flexible and have strong legs. The HHW is suppose to lift you but I could not get the feeling. I did get two knee to feet starts after several crashes. Got on foil once but was so far down wind I had to stop, turn and crash. Maybe day 3 will go better.
I thought I would just pop up and go foiling the first day. So far its been a bit frustrating but I'm no quitter. I'll give it a go again tomorrow. The good wingers here say day 3,4, or 5 is when it clicks but they are young not 70 trying to learn a new sport. I'll post again if anyone cares...
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I care. Let me know how it goes.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Windward, its not all negative.
I wanted to try this because windsurf foiling felt a lot like windsurfing. Plus the ease of rigging and de rigging. No mast, boom, extension and uni. We have a pretty steep down hill to the water maybe 200 yards. The HHW is weight less and just floats behind while walking down. W/S sail not so much.
Its always been a struggle getting a sail back up the hill and hard on the back. HHW actually pulls me back up and I can carry the wing and the board back up at the same time with less struggle. De-rigging the wing is stupid easy and quick. Pull the plug have a drink of water while it deflates roll and set it in the truck. May be 2 min. at the most. I have a 4.4 and 5.4 HHW and all parts needed (pump) fit neatly behind my seat. At this point I'm thinking I should have gone with the 145 board for ease of use. Evey thing I read and the boys here said get a 95 board that I would grow out of a big board quickly. I will let you know how that works out...
skonoplev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: My experience Reply with quote

I am 59 year old with almost 10 years of windsurfing experience. Last week it was my day 10 of wingfoiling (I have 7.0 JP foil SUP (115 L) and several Duotone wings; 7 m ECHO worked nicely in 15-20 kn wind).
Now I could get on a foil and ride in both directions (I still feel less comfortable riding port tack compared to starboard tack). I could jibe off foil, but keep crushing every time I attempt jibing on a foil.
In my experience, the learning of wingfoiling is much slower process than that of a regular windsurfing, but it is definitely worth efforts.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post any and all input is welcome. I'll be looking forward to day 10, I hope. It was a hard choice for me between the Echo and the V2 sling shot. In the end it was availability and price that got me to go sling shot.
I liked the idea of the boom on the Echo and the simplicity of the few handles on the sling shot. Both should be fun to ride...
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard some 35 years old working progression from both knees to one knee to stand up at home.
Knee riding only works in flat water and steady 10.
Every winger I know didn't kitesurf, and I know more than a handful who now foil jibe and ride windswells one handed.
I think kitesurf is very similar for the riding part.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A year ago we had 2 wingers at the lake. Now its more like 15. Most are kite guys from Arroyo a high wind wave spot. More and more are showing up with wings from SUP foiling. They all seem to pick it up pretty easy. The kite guys are using sinker 80 liter boards or smaller, SUP people on 140 or bigger boards all having fun.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our lake doesn't allow kiteing because of the small launch and long lines. The small beach is pretty crowed with people enjoying the sun and water. Right now because of low water all windsurfer and wingers are required to launch and land between two red markers that are at most 20 yards apart. Our concern as long time windsurfing locals is if the new comers do not follow the rules that the park ranges asked for he will close the launch. For the most part its been pretty good but some people don't seem to get it or just don't care. A bunch of rain next year would go a long way to help
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youth and kiting, especially kitefoilers, have huge headstart for winging.
Heard some 35 year olds talking about practicing, at home, knees to one to standup with hands above head.
Switch and switching is learned kiteboarding.
Kiteboarding is done on 5 liter boards.
Jumps are a cross between.
Fly window is 2nd nature for kiters.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
The small beach is pretty crowed with people enjoying the sun and water.

MANY people think of going to a beach as a summer-only activity, regardless of the weather. If it's not between Memorial Day and Labor Day, it's not beach time no matter how warm or even hot it may be. Maybe now's the time to suggest to "the ranger(s)" the prospect of opening up the venue to big-footprint users when the crowds diminish in Sept. I've usually found agencies and/or individual authorities and rules pretty flexible after Labor Day. What's not to like about warm wind and water with no crowds, regardless of the calendar?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: