myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
carbon construction vs less expensive versions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mudshark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: carbon construction vs less expensive versions Reply with quote

I've always opted to drop more money and get the carbon or premium construction. Yesterday I foiled on a friends Tabou 81 Air Ride in the cheaper MTE construction. Other than lugging it around (the extra weight was really noticeable) I didn't notice a huge difference in performance. Was able to get on the foil in really light wind. Wondering what you guys think or the differences you noticed. I must admit the weight thing is messing with my mind.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prolly a 5% diff in performance.
Maybe 15% in transport.
Minus 10% in impact resistance for light boards.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only went to carbon 3 years ago and I did notice a big difference in the transfer of energy from the wind into the board I'm thinking due to the stiffness, not losing any energy due to flex.

Saw a video of Robby Naish who went foiling on the wrong size boom for the foil sail and his premise was that foil sails aren't as sensitive to tuning.

Weight is a really nice added bonus as well but if you're foiling, perhaps the aluminum doesn't make as much difference given it's easier to get on foil than to get on a plain.

Aluminum does have an advantage in hearing folks from Australia and the UK pronounce it, I swear they put in 3 additional syllables...

DC
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the money into carbon rig components every time, it would be impossible to go back to aluminum booms and low carbon masts. The exception is extensions.

However for boards I'm usually looking for a more durable setup. My Skate for example is the heavier version but still has quite a bit of carbon and is very light.
My wave boards also have carbon but aren't light weight construction either.

For foiling I don't see much impact from board stiffness but I definitely notice a difference if the board is heavy and not a foil specific design due to the length.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boards UK magazine, tested , boards both versions the standard and performance, which usually means lighter, more expensive materials, even using human twins, Until a board got to a larger size on the water nothing significant was noted. Size above 100 .The noticeable weight difference was most felt when carried to the water.
Carbon, in the same weight is stronger than glass, it’s also more prone to dent, which is not really a bad thing, it’s more expensive, and I think weighs more, but less would be used . For the everyday sailor, I would opt for the standard construction.Used board I would not shy away from and judge on individual condition.
Carbon masts and booms are a different discussion.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Board: lite wind go carbon. You need to take every advantage to get things up and going. Strong wind not so much and you might enjoy the softer ride.
Rig: Carbon everything except the base for several reasons.
Foiling: A lite weight rig is much easier to up haul and you do it a lot while learning. A heavier board and foil don't seen to matter much other than the pain to get it in and out of the water. Front wind size makes a big difference in how earyy you fly...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

early
mudshark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weighed my Starboard Ultrasonic 147 liter, which is not a foil board but foil ready, that I have been foiling on for the last two years it's 18.5 lbs admittedly an ultra light wind board. The Tabou Air Ride 145 liters in the MTE construction (cheaper construction) 2 liters less than the Starboard, weighs in at 24.5 lbs.
6 lbs seems significant. In two sessions both light wind I was amazed how easy it was to fly on the Tabou dedicated foil board, but still driving myself crazy wondering if I should have bought the carbon version especially when I lug it down to the water.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that is the issue with heavy foil boards. In and out of the water or getting it to the water.. Add a 10 lbs. for the foil and you dealing with 35lbs. I started on the SS 130 Dialer and the 76 foil. It weighed a ton. Once on the water I was up and flying quicker than most. I went to a Naish 122 and the 2020 WS foil. Both are much liter and easy to carry and get in and out of the water. I didn't gain anything on the low end but the foil was faster and got to wind better for me. That said there is still a guy on the SS dialer 130 and 76 wing at the lake. He is the first guy up and going, makes the best turns and the fastest foiler we have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: