myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hatteras vs Corpus in June - especially for foiling
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpc2

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Hatteras vs Corpus in June - especially for foiling Reply with quote

I am working on planning a road trip to get out of Chicago and windsurf as much as possible for a couple of weeks. I will probably hit the road on June 6 and I'm trying to choose between Corpus and Hatteras. I will be bringing my own gear and camping, it looks like there are now campgrounds open in both places.

My main goal is to use my Slingshot foil as much as possible (still learning). I know that the Worldwinds location is pretty good for that (though not with the tallest mast), but there's probably better chance for wind in Hatteras in mid-June. I have been to Corpus many times in April (not this April, due to Covid) so I know the area well. Corpus is 4 hours further - maps shows 16 hours to Rodanthe vs 20 to North Padre Island, and it will be hotter in Corpus.

I have only been to Hatteras once, that was years ago and I only got to sail one day due to lack of wind. As I recall I used a weed fin and it was a little shallower than Corpus, so I am wondering if there are even good spots there for practicing on a foil. Also I suppose there's a chance it could be too windy in Hatteras for a beginning foiler, but I am planning on bring a fin board (or two) as well, so that would not be so terrible.

Any thoughts on which location might make more sense given that my focus will be on foiling? Or maybe even some other location - as long as there is camping available.

Thanks much,
Gerry
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have foiled at both spots. BIB can be quite nice for foiling with a 71 cm mast, especially in easterly directions.

Hatteras can also be decent for foiling, although it depends a lot on wind direction. I have had decent sessions in Avon when the water level was high. A 90 cm mast would not work there at all, but the 70 was ok when the water level was high. Waves at Barton's shop is deeper and works in all directions, with a somewhat longer walk in easterly directions. But I've seen people foiling there with 90 cm masts, it's deep enough if you walk a bit. The KOA campground is right next to Barton's, and there are a few more campgrounds close by. The campground in Buxton is perhaps nicer, but the water there is probably too shallow.

The sea grass was a bit of a problem in Hatteras on some days. The stringy stuff there is very clingy and loves to stick to the foil. I've had a few sessions where I had plenty of power in the sail, but was going really slow, with the nose pointing up high and everything feeling wrong, when the grass was bad. That was in October; I've never been to either place in the summer. Other days with less grass were better. It helps to sail a little backward when turning, and to get on the foil right away. If you first slog around for a minute waiting for a gust, you'll collect lots of grass, and it's no fun, even if you get up. But maybe summer is different?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to Hatteras, but I have been camping at Corpus many times, over many years, for days to weeks at a time, during optimal conditions. At least at that time (the '80s), the winds peaked in May, but the cost -- heat and humidity -- was absolutely prohibitive. I'd expect June to be even worse, if that's possible, with even less wind and comparable heat and humidity. Even in Feb and Mar, we usually had to run our fog/mist-soaked bedding through a commercial dryer every two days. I grew up near the Florida panhandle, so I know heat and humidity, but Corpus was still a shock. 90 degrees, very heavy mist, and hordes of mosquitoes at midnight in March were too big a price to pay for occasional planing on a longboard w/a 7.5. You'd get much more foiling time, but can you sleep in those conditions? If I ever return, I'd suck up the cost of air-conditioned lodging.

That's one side of the equation.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if those are your only two options but considering the time of year & distance I would think Lake Okabena in Worthington, MN would be an option for foiling.

Coachg
mac

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Okabena would be a good choice. The locals are astonishingly friendly and supportive of windsurfing. It can be gusty, but there’s enough water to foil and you’re never too far from shore to self rescue.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORD TO Bird Island 1289miles , number of hospitals in CC numerous.
ORD TO Avon NC 1013miles,closest hospital Kitty Hawk , 2hours away.
Many options to camp at OBX.
JUNE may be iffy for wind at either.
Texas has 36 In n Out burger
OBX has Pops in Buxton
Weeds possible at either location.
Hood River twice as far.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
gpc2

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Leaning toward Hatteras but I will check out Worthington. I did see that MN is allowing camping starting on June 1 and it looks like there's a campground there (Olson Park).

Options are pretty much wide open except I'd really like to camp and keep it to a reasonable two day drive (or less) - Corpus is pushing it at 20 hours driving time.
mac

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpc--if you are interested in Lake Okabena, be sure and look up Bill Keitel. He lives across the street from the lake and has put together at least three nationals there that I know of. A great guy, plays slide guitar, can give you advice on where to sail and camp. He runs Buffalo billfolds

https://buffalobillfoldcompany.com/
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you given some thought to the Gorge?
gpc2

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, for mid-June Hood River is probably the ideal choice, but 30 hours of driving time is just too much - maybe some day!

Thanks for the suggestion, mac! I did speak with Bill Keitel in Worthington, super nice guy. They normally hold their regatta around the second weekend of June, so he said it would be a great time to come and confirmed the lake is good for foiling. Wind is probably more iffy than Hatteras but I think the odds are decent.

As I was typing this I just heard back from the local (city-run) campground, they are opening on June 1 so I went ahead and booked June 6 - 15 for now, might stay longer depending on weather as they seem to have plenty of sites. Should be fun and only an 8 hour drive.

So glad I posted, thanks to all who replied!! I will post a brief trip report after I get back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: