myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
choosing board volume relative to neutral buoyancy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count your blessings, you're one of the chosen.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does "camping" include sleeping in your own motor home? IMO, that reduces, not increases, CV risks to everyone.

Back on topic ... volume choice depends on at least a dozen interacting variables, some within and others beyond our control. Just off the top of my pointy head ... fin size and shape, sailing style and objectives, wind shadows, wind quality and quantity, the forecast, whether said forecast is reliable, costs if the wind backs way off, what language is spoken on the downwind or downcurrent shore, chop, rescue impact and opportunities, swimming ability, slogging ability, patience, air and water temperatures, remaining daylight, where you're parked, the sailor's endurance, gear cost, landing opportunities, the nature of the walk of shame, whether you enjoy returning to shore to change gear, sail range, SAILOR range, and druthers, to name a few.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watermonkey wrote:
I'm currently on a 95L board with total weight of me(dry) + gear + rig at ~83kg. I was thinking of going down to an 85L board but wondering if it will make that much of a difference in control in well/overpowered conditions in chop (assume same board model). The tradeoffs I see there would be (slower) dragging and maybe waterstarting in underpowered conditions which I'm doing fairly often getting to/from the windline. I have no problems with either of those on the 95.

If shlogging to a wind line is a regular part of your routine, you may want to stay on the 95 (if only owning one board is your plan.) In higher winds you will definitely enjoy an 85 more (once you get used to sailing it) but at 83kg it will be a balancing act. dlee says he has terrible balance...I've never met him but I have it on authority that he's an excellent windsurfer.

dllee

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent windsurfer...90 days planing for 37 years and working at WS shops for 24 years don't hurt.
But totally cannot do yoga cranes!
Nor balance beam.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plus all your gear including the board and rig are only 83kg then 95L is a pretty massive board. Most intermediate or better wave sailors use something close to 10L above their bare bodyweight in KG.

For instance I'm right around 90kg on the scale (should be 80) and my big wave board is 95L, I have another at 85L for bigger days. I can slog either one in any wind I can waterstart and I'm moderately efficient there (no mast and clew technique though, can't seem to make that work). I can't uphaul either and I doubt I'd have the balance to slog them in those conditions anyways.
westender

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you no sailing friends you could try out their board to see for yourself??
dllee

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinK, at 176 lbs and 2 mil shortsleeve suit, 12 years ago, was able to uphaul his Trance 84 repeatedly.
westender

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watermonkey sailing the Bay since 04. Somebody should be able to hook him up. ???????????????
I know you would laugh but you could get a nice Mistral Screamer for free. Many great rides on those back in the day. Still got a nice one hanging in the rafters.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Board size depend on sailing site, conditions and wind variability. I weigh 170/77kg and will not use anything smaller than a 105 L board on my area lake. Even if winds are gusting to 25-30 mph (rarely), the holes can be 2-10 mph and can last a few minutes. I have a 96L board and have tried it a couple of times on the lake, but I spent too much time floating around waiting for wind. Uphauling in moderately wavy water is too difficult for me with the 96.

On the other hand, the 96L is my go to board at the Outer Banks, even in 30 mph winds. Works great with a 6.4 down to a 4.0. A smaller board would be good on occasion, but not that often, so I haven't invested in one.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I overlooked one major variable: attitude. If sitting on your board or bobbing beside it until the wind comes back bothers you, go big. But if your lake gets nasty chop or useable swell when the wind's up, go small. Which do you prefer ... avoiding rest breaks on/in the water, or having more fun when the wind's up?

Additionally, can't you just snag a second board for next to nothing at a nearby swap meet and and decide for yourself which you prefer under a given set of conditions? Surely there are decent swap meets near Sherman Island.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: