myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
choosing board volume relative to neutral buoyancy
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watermonkey

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: choosing board volume relative to neutral buoyancy Reply with quote

I'm currently on a 95L board with total weight of me(dry) + gear + rig at ~83kg. I was thinking of going down to an 85L board but wondering if it will make that much of a difference in control in well/overpowered conditions in chop (assume same board model). The tradeoffs I see there would be (slower) dragging and maybe waterstarting in underpowered conditions which I'm doing fairly often getting to/from the windline. I have no problems with either of those on the 95.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 73 kgs., add a sometimes wet 4/3 wetsuit, I can uphaul any 85 liter board if the mast base is set somewhat balanced.
I'm 71 years old with really bad balance.
Any time you decrease boardsize, same model board, you lose early planing and ease of slogging to gain high wind control and better responsiveness.
For me, longer narrower board is easier in both lightwind AND higher wind than short fat boards of the same volume.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the wind drops what is the smallest board you can slog on.
It the wind is gusty what's the lowest volume you can keep
on plane through the lulls.
How much upwind capability do you need to be safe.
How much bounch out can you stand in raging conditions.
There are quite a few factors that go into this.
Some people can slog a submarine.

Small board properly powered buys you control in raging
conditions but does not get you home if the wind dies.

Try it before you buy it if you can.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty close to your weight if factoring in wetsuit, harness & rig. I have 93 liter & 85 liter but they are different brands & boards. 93 is single fin & 85 is thruster. Sail range on both boards is pretty close with the 93 able to carry a 6.0 & the 85 a 5.5 rig. The differences in overpowered conditions are small until the water state starts to get big. So if you have a strong current opposite of the wind direction that can create big swell/chop or an extremely long fetch that does the same you will really appreciate the smaller volume. On flatter water the difference will be much less.

Coachg
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also need to think about how thin and wide the boards tails are. I have the 3s 96 and had the 3s 85 same year. The tail 24 inches from the back were almost the same shape. The ride in chop on both boards felt almost the same. Maybe a slight edge to the 85. At my weight 165lbs the 96 is very easy to get out and to shore in lite winds. Kind of easy to up haul if the water isn't to ruff. The 85 is at the float sink level for me. Not as easy to do those things.
I found myself having a bit more fun on the 96 in all but the most extreme ruff water conditions. That said I don't do extreme places like the gorge anymore..
manuel

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry let's start fresh, body weight + sail size + conditions please / type of sailing ?

In general volume gives more pop at slower speeds, more productivity at slower speeds, catch more waves, etc. Basically underpowered or underwaved (small or mushy waves).

Smaller volume gives more reactivity, more control, and better top end.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. Going down 10 liters , on the same board series, may not give you the same character. May not key phrase. My Tabou 3S, 97 and 87 were similar in name only.
B. The formulas , being math equations, have too many variables which for each person are different . Some are comfortable slogging on much smaller boards, others have a comfort zone which is larger.
X. You don’t mention the size sail.
Y. How’s the 95 l once your out to the Windline ? How often would the 85 l be better ?
Z. If your looking at just the 85l, I read that it’s not the ticket.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
watermonkey

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick with my 95 then. Doesn't sound like the tradeoff in underpowered is worth it. I'm generally well powered (or slightly over) on a 5.5 with that board. I should downsize to a 5.0 and just go further out into more wind.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many people are actually getting out now ??
with the current "social distancing" and "house arrest"

In Canada there is talk of federal parks opening June 1st
with NO camping ...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We must have a windsurfer in our county government. Our local spot has remained open for day use and windsurfing. No camping. Near by state beaches are open but parking lots remain closed making access with gear difficult
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: