myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet longboards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Exocet longboards Reply with quote

Best east coast boards. Nuff said.
dmilovich

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Capetonian, will you explain this a bit? Wave sailing? Light wind cruising? Conditions and sail sizes? Thanks.
fanntom43

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Exocet longboards Reply with quote

I've had both the 10.5 and 11.5 two of my favorite Florida boards! Don't do waves (except for Gulf of Mexico small ones) Great for blasting over big River swells, Tracks great, carves quite well, handles big sails - 5.8 to 9.0. Slogs very well if the wind dies. Ask Jingebritson, his favorite board! I'm 77 with balance and vertigo issues so now sail my Konaone or my WindsurfLT in inland lakes- need a dagger board to get me home sometimes. If I still had my old WS skills it might be my one board quiver!
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love long board blasting. Not sure why I don't do it more often....
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmilovich wrote:
Hey Capetonian, will you explain this a bit? Wave sailing? Light wind cruising? Conditions and sail sizes? Thanks.

I have the 10'5, and I'm 6'1 and 190 lbs. I'm in central Florida so winds are pretty light here. The most common launch I use it at is Jetty Park near Cape Canaveral, where the waves are often pretty weak (but not always) or Cherie Down. I mostly use it with 6.7 and 7.5. My favorite conditions for this board are onshore and cross onshore. It is surprisingly agile in the bottom turn once I found the right stance and technique. In cross onshore it holds its speed very well in the bottom turn, as good as or better than the best wave oriented FSW boards. When the wind is lighter and the white water is large enough to make getting out challenging, the length of the board makes getting over white water surprisingly easy.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exocet boards can also be described as the best inland boards if that includes the ones made under the Kona brand. I'm pleased capetonian characterized them as good boards for some types of wave sailing. Though I'm a dedicated inland lakes flat water sailor, I do have some desire to at least try low level waves and expect to do that sometime when traveling comes back to my life.

(My 7 water boards are an ancient Fanatic MegaCat, two Kona Ones, a Kona Hula beginner board, a Starboard Start, an ancient F2 Comet longboard, & an AHD 135 liter SeaLion my only short board.)

37 seasons as a windsurfer and I've never tried waves. Some would say that is like saying I've never tried windsurfing. I say pickleball is much easier and still as real a sport as tennis just as flatwater sailing is much easier and still as real as wave sailing. Windsurfing is an overall name for several distinct sports.
fanntom43

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Exocet longboards Reply with quote

DelCarpenter I also have been WS for 37 yrs, starting with a windsurfer OD. I've had Fanatic Ultracat, Mistral OD and Equipe, 2 Konaones, numerous short boards (favorite Mistral Screamer 2 103ltr.) I also sail in the Indian River as well as the Banana River , both can have major league swells, which I "surf". Nice having a dagger board when you need to get outta Dodge in a hurry if weather gets hairy! Love sunset sailing with a friend or two knowing I can get home in a timely manner- yeah it's all good!!!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Del,

With all your experience sailing out of the straps, your nervous system
might just be set up for small wave surf style longboard riding.
I wouldn't have a clue how to do that myself (not to mention the last time
I asked my buddies to teach me to surf they told me I was past my "sell by"
date), but surfsailing on a Kona might be your calling.

-Craig

DelCarpenter wrote:
37 seasons as a windsurfer and I've never tried waves. Some would say that is like saying I've never tried windsurfing. I say pickleball is much easier and still as real a sport as tennis just as flatwater sailing is much easier and still as real as wave sailing. Windsurfing is an overall name for several distinct sports.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all those boards I'd use the sea lion, they will carve an easy wave nicely.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I've been working on deluding myself that I have good conditions here in Iowa for practicing beginning moves for wave sailing. Iowa? Yeah, it does sound delusional. But, I live only 2 miles from a gently sloping parking lot large enough to hold 940 cars. I already wear serious protective gear land sailing that lot on a 59" long, 14" wide, Kahuna Creations longboard skateboard with 100 mm scooter wheels. I'm hoping just riding the KC longboard downhill, practicing turning both directions repeatedly on the way will be safe enough. Due to our pandemic the lot is essentially empty so I can choose my slope, where I want to turn, & can go slower whenever I choose just turning away from straight downhill. I can carry a land paddle to slow me down faster if needed.

Yes, the wave sailing possibilities of the Sea Lion played a part in my decision to buy it about 2 yrs ago. Though I'm less stable on it & expect to first try larger boards when I try low waves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: