myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Possibly confined until May 25th going windskate!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel, thank you for the link to the video with the 6-7" diameter wheels put on a longboard skateboard. It was also good to see the trucks were put on top of the board as a way to lower the board when the 6-7" wheels are used. I've thought of trying that lowering on my Turf board, but haven't done it yet.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting idea, now could interfere with our sail and possibly our feet when hopping off? The advantage of drop-down decks.

After researching wheels a lot it does seem that even "big" 100mm wheels would get stuck at low speeds over rough terrain whole almost nothing can phase an AT (all terrain) mountain board wheel.

For now, I'll be sweeping my play area well before launching.

My board has just gotten forwarded from Miami. Unsure of the beach opening date yet but at least now I'll have a new toy to play with when it's skunky outside!

DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taller wheels (due to lowering the deck) won't affect a rider hopping off, assuming the axle width stays the same. But taller wheels could affect the sail foot if the rider drops the sail when hopping off. Usually some hasty exits will happen so the sail foot will be more at risk from a lowered deck than from one that has the deck taller than the wheels.

One of the reasons I rarely ride my 2 meter long Norblan Speedsail is the extra width built into the rear axle. The deck is only 9" wide, the front axle is quite a bit wider than the deck (maybe 16" wide) and the rear axle is wider yet, maybe 20" wide. When hopping off I need to take care to get far enough away from the deck to not have a foot run into by one of the rear wheels. That design was done to prevent a steering issue (understeer or oversteer, I don't know which one) that to my untrained mind doesn't exist as an issue at the speeds at which I sail.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i safely assume NO-one does speed wind skating ?? Shocked
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all. I think windsurfers primarily interested in speed continue that interest sailing on land. Acceleration on paved surfaces is quite fast. But, like you, Joe, I also guess the dangers of falling on paved surfaces limit efforts to push the envelope.

I think there are a lot of windsurfers who try to go as fast as they can who also recognize their own reaction times or lack of absolutely perfect balance will always keep them from being the fastest windsurfer on the planet. Land sailors pushing their own speed records probably reach their own risk limits before they reach equipment limits.

I think of myself as being quite cautious or risk averse. I think some windsurfers who look at land sailing and regard it as too risky, would, if they got some land sailing experience, become faster sailors on land than I am. Isn't that the way with most things? When we haven't yet learned how to do something we regard it as more difficult or dangerous than it is. (And sometimes we think the new thing would be less interesting than it becomes after we learn how to do it.)
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DelCarpener: I understand you completely !!

what I have decided to do (in these "fun" times) is practice kite sailing Smile

https://youtu.be/izwE7k1eKdo

hmm - forgot - NO embed youtubes here Sad

I have been chased off the football field twice
which i do NOT understand ...
especially when I see this:

manuel

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With protective gear one can do anything especially when they don't value life much Very Happy !!!

Sorry a bit sour I'm only getting my board on Monday... ordered on the 22nd of April, lame but I guess there are bigger problems right now Very Happy !!!

manuel

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, finally got my board, the longest 3 weeks!
A-MA-ZING! Confirms this is one of my favorite sport!

Anyway, loosened up the trucks nearly all the way let me turn around tight enough (most of time!). Used the slight space left behind the front truck to secure my mast joint with the help of a big washer underneath and off I went.

My dirt skills came back right away and were helpful when I rammed into a parked car, slammed into a house window, ran over my dog and one of my daughters.

Besides this, it was so much fun jibing away, sailing switch stance, clew-first, ducking. Completed 360s, a no-comply tack (impossible to set 2 feet in front of mast base unless moving it so far back!

The wheels are super sticky and felt somewhat slow (78a), not sure they are slideable!

I also used a wooden stick as a paddle, wrapped the bottom with inner tube and pushed away, great workout and can ride both tacks! Nice exercice and fine tune carving.

Teaser vid: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAEY2GigPUw/

isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed land sailing is a blast as long as there are limitations to the risk. I wore the same protective gear you do, but I also did mine on hilly and grassy parks, which slow the speed and cushion the falls. We all quit land sailing because of other risks, including severe ankle and wrist injuries and the fact that one well-known board shaper was killed when his wheel struck a parking lot pebble at a walking pace.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally, it can be as safe as one wants it to be. Requirements are ability to walk, best is to jog so one can hop off with ease. My 6 year old girl can do it but has not enough weight to turn. My wife who has very rudimentary windsurfing skills can enjoy this sport with much less effort. Nice to enjoy family proximity and sharing too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: