myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Possibly confined until May 25th going windskate!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Possibly confined until May 25th going windskate! Reply with quote

Fellow road runners,

I loved mountain boarding all over my local park and now with only a small parking lot available just acquired a dropthrough longboard. First, it's cheaper, most likely just as stable, better speed over smooth terrain and lighter. Later I can probably swap for bigger wheels.

Anyway, I hesitated between pintail models or even kicktail. I looked at vids with tricks, and an interested in tacks, backwind jibes, shakas, 360s, and duck tacks. At least for now....

Any tips? Mast foot right behind the truck is good for tacks on the dropthrough? Loose trucks, wheels? Straps aren't my cup of tea on skates, for shakas though...

Finally I saw some cool tricks in pivot over the wheels?

I have no access to a ramp or any kind of bump, only smooth flat hard concrete.

-----

EDIT:

Alright first "water" session after two months of wind skating, here are my thoughts:
- small boards can sink off the plane, footing is critical to balance
- the fin really bites in the turns!
- windskate helps sail tricks: laydowns, ducks, etc.
- windskate helps maintain windsurfing "fitness" (calluses, forearms, back, shoulders, etc.)
- on the water the loss of speed in the turns feels crazy slow!
- it's only water but after a few hard falls, my body started decomposing! (whiplash, back slaps, ...)
- we can throw about one trick every 3 minutes in the water but about 10 wind skating
- water sessions will vary greatly depending on conditions
-----

EDIT2:

Addicted hardcore!

Would like to compile a vid with all of the moves.
Today, I added to my list of completed moves the upwind 360 (tried to slide it to get it more shaka-ish) and the heli tack.

Enjoy!

Last edited by manuel on Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Onda Longa longboard skateboards have 7" diameter wheels which are only about 1" wide. (The Onda Longa is a drop down deck.) In late 2017 I bought the 7" wheels for an old 57" Turf de Ville deck which left me higher in the air than I wanted. But, for sailing parking lots, they are good. Even at slow speeds they go over pebbles, crevices, & bumps that would stop the skateboard wheels in your picture. The axle diameter they use is the same as your longboard skateboard. Least rolling resistance of any large diameter wheels that fit.

2. Scooter wheels: same axle diameter as inline skates, and same axle diameter as your longboard skateboard wheels. AND they have wheel diameters like 100 mm or 125 mm or 145 mm which is great compared with the ordinary 70 or 80 mm on longboard skateboards. AND they are only about 1/2 " wide. Think what that does to overcome rolling resistance.

3. In 2018 I switched a new Kahuna Creations Bombora to 100 mm diameter scooter wheels for land sailing. The deck is 59" long & 14" wide, a great land sailer.

4. Also bought 125 mm diameter scooter wheels at that time which I put on the Turf deck I had used for the 7" diameter Onda wheels. Now I bought another Bombora, used, which will get the 125 mm diameter scooter wheels. The extra 25 mm will require enlarging the cutout. The unused 7" diameter Onda wheels will be put on the Turf deck and used for core exercise with a land paddle.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, got unlucky and actually ordered on eBay an Amazon fulfilled order which is taking forever! So bummed as I could have ordered something else and get it within a few days instead of weeks!

Whatever, I have small pebbles on my lot and little seeds size of cherries. Think 70mms wouldn't handle these??

DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going fast enough to enjoy the sailing, 70 mm diameter wheels will go over most pebbles. But, the slowest speed in most turns is slow enough a fingernail size pebble can stop the same wheels. And, most turns are downwind turns, with the sail clouding or fully blocking your view of the area where your wheels are going.

I'm not saying 70 mm wheels don't work. I sailed with them about two seasons on a 43" longboard skateboard. My few falls didn't cause any serious injuries. But, I got stopped by pebbles often enough I switched to using mountain board size wheels until I discovered scooter wheels.

Parking lot sailing with a windsurfing rig is enough fun it would be worth doing even if you had to jump off at every turn.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thank you, I can sweep up the area and do some test runs. The seeds are actually soft, the pebbles about 1/4", a little less than 1cm. For some reason, I don't recall this issue when skating around before and obviously never had issues with my mountain board other than dropping down a big hole hidden below tall grass!

Edit; shark wheels?

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hate to admit this ,but ...

i worked on my homemade windskate during this pandemic and ...
the POC/proof of concept date was an anniversary of my iceboard POC where I broke my left shoulder ...

thus .. i opted out and decided to play with my 3 m² training kite Smile

https://joewindsurfer.blogspot.com/2019/06/hq-rush-v300-pro.html
manuel

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although bought on eBay my board was being fulfilled by Amazon which means I'll be getting it much later than expected! The good news is that confinement got shortened to may 17th...

Anyway, apparently shark wheels long term reviews may not show much advantage over regular "good" wheels. Will see how the board does stock and go from there. Looks like I can set the mast foot pretty much as close to front truck as convenient, then dial the trucks so it's loose enough to allow for some sharp turns but still remain fairly stable. Front truck slightly looser?

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if ya want info on windskates or windskis

check with local Montreal legend Guy Trudeau Jr GTJ

http://windskate.ca
manuel

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did and learned a lot!
manuel

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelCarp...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: