myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Magic Ride/Gecko/Volar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not pass up a Tabou Rocket LTD 125 or 135 if you could find one at a good price. Considered by many to be one of the best free ride boards built
mmclimbhigh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good feedback everybody! I have narrowed down my choice to either a RocketWide 135 or MagicRide 139.

I had time the other day to dive deep into this forum, as well as SeaBreeze, regarding light wind board options. I am trying to not to overthink it, but with the cost of the new board, I would like to make a wise and sensible decision. Furthermore, I'd like this board to be a viable choice for many years to come.

Tough call regarding options: foil? longboard? windsup? large freeride? Or the crazy Starboard Serenity/Exocet RSD2 that Average Joe spoke of?

I've determined that my best approach (locale, etc.) will be a higher volume freeride board. This board will compliment my 110L Firemove perfectly. There will be a little overlap, but I think I should be good to go. Thanks to the good feedback from CoachG, ss59, and others, I've opted to stay away from the larger 145+ liter boards. I don't really want a "dull" ride. And, as mentioned, I would like this board to be a good mentor in dialing in skills such as heli-tacks, fully planing carve jibes, etc.

I still have the old Mistral Prodigy for the superlight days. In fact, I busted it out yesterday and had a good time. Other windsurfers on the beach and the Prodigy was the only one on the water. I even caught a couple planing rides up to 18+kts top speed. That thing is huge though! Perhaps I should consider renting a slip at the marina for that barge so as to not suffer loading and unloading that lead based supertanker!

Thanks again my friends. Haul ass, safety last!

Cheers! MM
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter what you ride as long as you are having fun. While getting a new larger board will help some in marginal winds, you still need enough wind. There is a point where bigger everything just adds weight and drag. The Rocket Wide is not a great light wind ride like the standard Rocket. It requires more technique to get it up and going. Its more of a free race board
that likes a bigger sail and needs to be pushed down wind and a some pumps to break free. Read windsurf magazine review for the 2018 110 rocket wind.
mmclimbhigh

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Just wanted to wrap up this thread with an update on my journey to find a good 2nd board...

I was very fortunate to find a 2017 - 142 MagicRide Pro Edition (Thanks JB!) in excellent condition. The board is fantastic! Just what I was looking for. It's a great light wind board with respectable speed. Planing in 10kts (high gusts) with an 8.2m GA sail and a 51cm TrueAmes Sweeper Sunday. I was somewhere in the 25mph range sailing deeply on a broad reach. Also, this board will be a crucial learning platform to work on carve jibes, heli-tacks, backwinded sailing, and 360's. So much to learn! I reckon I'll keep the board for many years to come.

Just want to say "thanks" to everyone for their input. I've reached out to the crew here for a couple of years along this journey to find a good light wind board for my skill level and locale. Namaste!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: