myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Covid19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing chills me (and, I imagine, most of us) like a good day on the water. Haven't had one yet.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thing I've noticed where I live when out & about in this month and somewhat in earlier months is an increase in politeness, civility, possibly concern for others, & definitely actions that say, "its ok with me if you go in front of me." In the local huge grocery store which now has one-way aisles, in other stores, and in the entrances to street round-abouts. I think it started several years ago from my city's installation of 10 round-abouts (traffic circles) which greatly reduce the frustrations of sitting at stoplights. Then the COVID-19 dangers added significant spice; people smiling & motioning for strangers to go ahead. Cynics can say letting others go first is just a rational response to a fear of being breathed on from behind. OK, but it is being done politely with smiles & the people allowed to go ahead smile back & both parties feel better because of the human exchange which adds dignity to both. The lines I've seen in the pharmacy or at the doctor's office have the same interactions. (Since 3-15-19 I live in the area well served by round-abouts which definitely skews my experience and probably my attitude.)
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
I may be on a downhill slide, hoping to come to grips with a new cancer treatment, that gains me a session or two later this year. Strangely I feel at peace, I’ve had a good go, a great career, 2 great pass times, windsurfing being , words can’t say.

You've mentioned that you're in a trial for a new melanoma drug or protocol. Just in case these are news to you, however, I noticed a blurb about incredible results with nivolumab and ipilimumab for melanoma, including some complete remissions.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I commented here for many reasons, including:
1. U2 keeps bashing people, including me, about how important the posting rules are, and he constantly criticizes others for just stretching them, yet here he is clearly blowing the rules off completely.

2. My rational, adult on-topic RESPONSE to another person's baseless personal attack in another thread belonged in this subforum, yet was completely erased without explanation.

3. U2 is one of the longest-standing members of my filter/killfile list based on his years of incessant libelous attacks. I have little to no respect for his (or anyone else's) vitriolic obsession with me.

4. I have terminal Stage 4 cancer, too, with metastases from brain to pelvis. I've offered suggestions for his situation based on my extensive experience fighting it, with not even an FU ... just more vitriol.

5 This is a public bulletin board. If he expects to dictate who, what, whether, and how people respond, maybe he should take it to a melanoma forum. He'd learn much more anyway.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2, if your vendetta is more important to you than suggestions for fighting your melanoma, a) that's your call and b) good luck with that. If suggestions from mac, Chandler, vientocaliente, you, et.al. could completely cure my prostate cancer, let me get back into full-bore windsurfing, and give me time to eat a relaxed meal or read a book, I'd pay off his mortgage.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous report of the pain involved in the covid19 test, update. Apparently more than one nose test exists . The one that caused so much pain , the nurses refer to it as the cheese grater, once inserted and twisted hurts like hell, but goes away quickly.
The other is more of a cotton type q- tip, that causes some discomfort as inserted to full length and approaches the brain. Not pain however.
Note worthy are the USA states where a large increase in cases have appeared .

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Increase in a weeks time of covid19 in 33 states. Only 3/4 have a decrease.The curious can look online.
Sweden who, has practiced a “herd” policy, which was basically do little, has shown more outbreaks than its neighbors.
Interesting is the economy , has not fared well, while staying open.

mac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks better than I expected.

988A6C72-2094-4D80-9608-5B22577A3E80.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  188.98 KB
 Viewed:  15524 Time(s)

988A6C72-2094-4D80-9608-5B22577A3E80.jpeg

A755DE8E-C074-405F-8673-96492EEA6586.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  207.47 KB
 Viewed:  15524 Time(s)

A755DE8E-C074-405F-8673-96492EEA6586.jpeg

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweden is an interesting case. Relative to population, Sweden had six times more COVID-19 deaths than Denmark, but experienced a very similar economic downturn.

Sweden has instituted a number of policies to control COVID-19. For example, restaurant service is limited to table service, and tables have to be spaced apart. A number of restaurants that did not follow guidelines have been closed. Many countries and states have seen that rules have very limited effects without enforcement. Texas is still learning this lesson (face mask use is "mandatory" now, but the "penalty" for the first offense is a warning).

Sweden also has a ban of public gatherings of 50+ people, and a complete ban of private visits to nursing homes.

Cell phone data show that Swedes have followed suggested restrictions at very high levels. Cell phone data showed that travel over Easter was down by 80-90% compared to previous years, and ski travel dropped more than 90%. These numbers are higher than the mobility reductions seen in many US states when mandatory stay-at-home orders were in effect.

But Sweden is still ahead of the US in the number of COVID-19 death relative to population size, with 545 deaths/million vs. 412 deaths/million. Underreporting rates for both countries are roughly the same, with official COVID-19 death accounting for about 75% of the observed excess mortality. At the current COVID-19 death rates, the US should pass Sweden within the next two or three months. But it's highly unlikely that the death rates remain at current levels. Within the next three months, the US has a good shot at climbing all the way to the 3rd spot in the death/population ranking, trailing only the UK and Belgium (unless Brazil keeps going strong and passes the US).
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interesting post. While the UK was a disaster at first, new cases and deaths have dropped well below what we’re still experiencing.

C5FC6FC9-DDD3-448D-BF4F-A9616806D0A5.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.6 KB
 Viewed:  15459 Time(s)

C5FC6FC9-DDD3-448D-BF4F-A9616806D0A5.jpeg

6BAD1313-DBB3-4F81-B437-FE6604FDC108.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  171.08 KB
 Viewed:  15459 Time(s)

6BAD1313-DBB3-4F81-B437-FE6604FDC108.jpeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: