myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2020 Hydra Sport 4.7 first impression

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: 2020 Hydra Sport 4.7 first impression Reply with quote

Got it out today in wind 8 to 18 with a few gusts hitting 20. That's pushing it on a 4.7...... First off it looks a bit strange. It has a fold in the sail near the mast that you would think its a mistake. I had it set to the mid with proper out haul. When I it set to max down haul the fold was less apparent. More like an Elite. Its very lite with a large clear window. The foot batter is not as long as last years Hydra and is no issue. Not a lot of luff curve so inserting the mast is super easy. Over 6cm of adjustment on the down haul. At the mid setting, its a very full sail. On the water it feels super lite, and very pump able with plenty of low end power. I should have been on a 5.8 but I had to give the Sport a go. Once up and going the sail shapes very deep, draft forward and low. That "fold" filled with a breeze and made it look more like a cam sail at the mast line. The sail wanted to pull the board forward with little to no back hand pressure. On foil I felt that forward pull and was able to control my up and down flight better than my Elite 4.7 If you hit a gust a slight sheet out flattens the sail and restores control. So in lite winds the sail really works well. Better than my Elite. Low end power and control on foil the highlights. SOOO whats not to like. I'll post again when I get to push the high end of the sail in more wind and fully down hauled. Then see if there any negatives..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: