myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard's wave boards too darn heavy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Router out the mast track now. Exposing that core will help dry things out and you needs to do it eventually anyway. Same with chopping the nose.

If you can get some vacuum on it do that too.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be ideal to do that type of work for sure and certainly around the insert.

Last night something interesting happened. When I came out this morning I noticed the paper towels were completely soaked. What I believe happened is that last night's pressure was much lower and that it helped bring the water out, way more than any hot day would do!

dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
The mast track is cracked right in the middle at the bottom. Super fine but enough to release pressure. It has stopped "breathing" for a couple of days now.

I think you need to change the mast track ... it is a big job but as grantmac017 (?) said it will help with the drying ...
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this waterlogged board SO unique, new, irreplaceable, and expensive that it's worth all this hassle to extend its longevity by a month or even a year?

Seriously, I ask myself that question about MYSELF every time I consider new tires, sails, computer, or just about anything expensive that should or may last longer than a year or two. This is almost the first winter in 20 years that I haven't bought new sails, and I'm starting to sell rather than buy boards (one exception is recently buying a spare for one of my favorite boards ... because it has a little residual moisture in it even after being oven-baked while filleted by a board builder for a professional finbox replacement.)

Even if you removed the entire skin from a damp core and left it in your attic for a year, it will still retain enough corrosive moisture to shorten its lifetime. Salt water accelerates that corrosion significantly. The shaper of Real Wind windsurf boards said he expects to get maybe a season out of his boards, because:
1. Their core, like yours, is basically a bag of beads.
2. They flex.
3. They soak up water like a sponge and distribute it far and fast.
4. He sails a LOT ... like you do.
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would suck to replace the mast track! I'm getting about a half inch length of wet paper towel after a full day in the sun. I'm going to try and run my shop vac over the problematic insert. I did it over the tail and got nothing but maybe that's normal?

I left a gap in the connection for cooling and used a new filter. Suction felt quite strong. Would it work similarly as a pump and just take more time or not be strong enough to pull water from farther inside?

EDIT: Sucked out of most holes, nothing. Next step, old board bag nice and black + full sun. I'm baking the darn thing determined to dry it out, delam or not Very Happy !

grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No point in drying it out if you aren't going to replace the track. It's not even a hard job.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was planning on injecting some PU glue along the crack. Something like that. Will research crack repair some more.

It's at the bottom of the track and comes up the sides but not all the way, just at the bottom, it's hairline, hardly any water came out of it. It's almost dead center.

Ideas on how the crack appeared?

As far as the insert goes, was thinking about putting some fiberglass strands with epoxy or PU glue. Or PU glue then epoxy over. I bet these boards have to withstand lots of pressure when landing flat jumps.

swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not do things right and forget the goofy off-the-wall repair ideas. When plastic parts are damaged or compromised you need to remove them and properly replace them using quality epoxy and fiberglass cloth. Anything less than that proves that you're not serious about making things right.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I cannot justify spending money on a waterlogged board?

Board weight is around 16.5lb so I may have lost somewhere between 1 to 2lbs.
It's more reasonable. It'd be nice It were closer to 15, more board bag sauna ahead...

swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I've got a novel idea, why not do the work yourself and learn something that's important that will serve you well into the future.

I've always been a fan of what you need to know and do if you want to be a serious participant in our sport. For me, it started with surfing when I was 14 years old over 56 years ago. Repairing and maintaining your boards isn't rocket science, and it really doesn't cost much to accomplish. It just takes some time and a little bit of patience.

Believe me, you have the time. Rather than spend an inordinate amount of time comparing footstraps or other questionable details, why not expand your horizon a bit? Check out the BoardLady's website, open a door, and learn something practical and useful to maintain your equipment in top shape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 6 of 16

Jump to: