myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard's wave boards too darn heavy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to 4 swaps (it's a two day drive for me) over the last 2 years. There is NOTHING like that happening now, no matter when you arrive.
Maybe during the era of people taking up kiting it did but those days are long over.

In my experience the best place in the western US is San Francisco. I've shipped several from there for much less than driving to the Gorge.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
I've been to 4 swaps (it's a two day drive for me) over the last 2 years. There is NOTHING like that happening now, no matter when you arrive.

Sorry, but it's still happening right up to the last swap, in Sep or Oct. Ya don't even have to arrive early (I get up before 3, even if I didn't get to bed until past midnight, because that's what it takes for me to arrive when the meet opens); I got my best deal at that last meet at noon. (I already got my 40 bucks' worth out of that new-looking wave board.) This summer I also got a large bag of new complete Chinook uni assemblies, from cup to two-bolt base w/nuts, at roughly $10 a pop. Scores of new hand-selected thruster fins for about $20 ... total. Scores of selected, modern, new to near-new, big-name wave fins at $20-30 each. Scores of nice-enough, fully functional board bags over the last few years at $5 to $20 each, including a new-looking, super-sturdy, airline-quality board bag for $15.

It just goes on and on and on, and it's still happening, big time.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to question the idea that "unused current year wave boards" are being unloaded for literally nothing. That suggests that windsurfing gear is worthless.

I do remember a time in the past like grantmac017 highlighted where folks exiting windsurfing for kiting sold used stuff super cheap, but I have to disagree that that still continues today.

Windsurfing may not be as popular as years in the past, but the idea that newer windsurfing gear can be had for virtually nothing is highly questionable.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we are entering the repair phase. I reached 7kg or 15.5lb approximately and only some slight moisture was coming out towards the end of the day. Hardly noticeable with paper towel.

The board got a bit baked where the wood veneer looking hull developed some cracks. Sanded them until flat and applied a thin coat of polyurehane glue (love this stuff). Will lightly sand tomorrow and paint white.

Applied pu glue into holes I made plus the insert hole (used a needle to get as much inside as possible), around the leaky rear insert (after scraping off around the hole) and over the mast base crack after roughing up the plastic.

Tomorrow I'll sand glued areas and epoxy + carbon each section. It may be sailable so I can test right away.

What I've learned so far is setting the board in the sun is a risky affair. Much better off with vacuum pump. The amount of time and heat required to get the water out is inefficient and can damage the board even under a bag.

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
The board got a bit baked where the wood veneer looking hull developed some cracks. Sanded them until flat and applied a thin coat of polyurehane glue (love this stuff). Will lightly sand tomorrow and paint white.

I'd probably add a layer of glass over the wood, at least over the section that developed cracks, to hold things together. Compared to everything else you're doing, that's not much work, and may should keep the water out longer. I'd probably use glass rather than carbon, both for looks and impact resistance.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glassing would be ideal. What do you think?
Glass over inidividual sections? That means a bit more sanding?

Last edited by manuel on Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I have to question the idea that "unused current year wave boards" are being unloaded for literally nothing. That suggests that windsurfing gear is worthless.

I do remember a time in the past like grantmac017 highlighted where folks exiting windsurfing for kiting sold used stuff super cheap, but I have to disagree that that still continues today.

Windsurfing may not be as popular as years in the past, but the idea that newer windsurfing gear can be had for virtually nothing is highly questionable.

The answer to your first question lies in re-reading what I actually posted: "I've paid $300 or more for only 2 boards -- fewer than 5% of the swap meet boards I've bought -- and they were unused current year wave boards." My new 2008 Naish Wave, with warranty, cost me $650 in 2008. My unused 2008 80L Starboard Evo XTV wave board cost me $400 in 2008. I sold the Naish for $250 after years of fun on it (I've owned half a dozen Naish Waves -- have three Naish tri-fin waves right now -- and absolutely love them). I sold the Evo a few years later for $500. $650 + 400 - 250 - 500 = $300 net cost for a ton 'o fun.

Stuff's worth what one can get or pay for it.

The "next to nothing" boards are certainly older than those two, which is very often a GOOD thing. Many of my most thrilling, smoothest riding, best tracking, fastest, slashiest, most chop-proof, sometimes lightest, most cold-dead-hands, and often new-looking boards debuted in 1999 to 2008, and I bought them for $0 to $100 anywhere from 2008 through 2019.

I don't question why someone's selling a board cheaply except to help find any problems with it. Kiting, foiling, cancer (in the board or the owner), overbearing spouses, moving to crappy locations, too much gear ... whatever. Wet core, a big issue, but then I've seen brand new boards take on quarts of water or even fall completely fall apart in their first sessions. I always take a scale to swap meets.

You and Grant are welcome to disagree. My proof is in racks in my shop, den, and MoHo, in the hundred Hood River swap meets I've attended, in the big eyes I see on friends' faces when I un-bag a "new" $80 toy on the beach, and in the ear to ear grin I can't wipe off my face when that toy proves to be a hands-down winner, as MANY of them do in one session, sometimes in one REACH.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2008=height of kiting switch over.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So?

Not that I care, but the Evo was a kiting switchover. AFAIK, it was the only such board among the last 40 or so boards I've bought. I assume that many of the other 39 or so were largely people believing the myth that new is inherently better.

The Naish wave was a seasonal leftover from the importer.

Did you even read the part about foiling? Or what about them them hand-held wingy things? Or what about the several other reasons I alluded to and more that I didn't suggest? Are you even reading my comments before refuting them? Are you simply jealous because some of my sub-$100 boards are as good as or better than my $2,600 boards for similar sailing?

BTW, if I weren't at the selling point in my life, I'd still be buying more of the similar bargains I see at almost every swap meet right up to and including this Fall. It's not my problem -- until I sell everything -- that so many people have no clue about anything but stubbies. Their loss. I keep getting offers to buy my long, skinny 1999 Mistral scalpels when I am forced to sell them. Sure, stubbies are different, but whether that means better depends on each sailor's criteria. I like the stubbies I kept, but almost solely for medical reasons.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That and the paint will re-add some weight to the thing. If I'd gone to all
the trouble you have, I'd definitely do it, but be prepared for that. Not sure
what you're time is worth, but I figure that board is worth several thousand
dollars now (and will be worth even more after a good glassing, sanding,
and painting). ;*) Epoxy resin for sure.

-Craig

manuel wrote:
Glassing would be ideal. What do you think?
Glass over inidividual sections? That means a bit more sanding?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 8 of 16

Jump to: