myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Metatarsalgia, s it from stepping on mast base?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Metatarsalgia, s it from stepping on mast base? Reply with quote

Researching online it seems that I have metatarsalgia where the ball of my foot is sore.
Particularity the second toe joint. The mast foot pad isn't so comfortable to step on. Also at the tack, I use the ball of my foot to roll my foot down and not damage the board by hitting it with my heel. So instead it seems I damaged my foot!

Ice, rolling over a ball or something that can massage my foot helps but pain stays pretty steady. Mornings are fine, evenings worse. Walking barefoot hurts.

I have heard great things about soles with raised center pads. Have you had it? It seems to take long la long time to heal but I guess I need to first stop doing what's causing the issue on the first place!

EDIT: It's finally getting better! It had been several weeks, worse being in October.
I have been walking keeping my toes straight, foot slightly to the side to minimize joint work/stress on that specific toe. Also, I'm more careful when jumping, I switched my jumping foot (odd but interesting feel!) and try to avoid slamming my feet down at the pop.

Last edited by manuel on Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "mast foot pad", are you referring to a volcano pad or to the heavy plastic disk that sits on the deck below the UJ? If the latter, cover it with a volcano pad. As for protecting your deck from your heels, pad the deck anywhere your feet hit it. That's a big part of the reason I haven't damaged a deck (or my feet) since I began padding my decks 25 years ago.
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the vulcan pad. I can feel the base beneath and it twists my toes up. I do lots of slogging but I can't really say both feet are hurting?

What type of pads are you using?

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about wearing a bootie on that foot.

-Craig

manuel wrote:
Yes, the vulcan pad. I can feel the base beneath and it twists my toes up. I do lots of slogging but I can't really say both feet are hurting?

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:

Decks, NSI pads from NSI in Hood River.
Mast foot, soccer training cones. Everybody carries them, often in many colors and in batches ranging from several to dozens.

manuel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tip on the soccer cones, are they slippery when wet?

These pads from NSI are pricey iirc. Have you tried rubber sheets? Seems to be working well, durable, inexpensive, gets the job done.

Now, I'm debating whether jumping barefoot on concrete might have triggered my foot problem. Doesn't seem to want to go away. Will stop jumping and go from there I guess Very Happy !

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
Nice tip on the soccer cones, are they slippery when wet?

These pads from NSI are pricey iirc. Have you tried rubber sheets? Seems to be working well, durable, inexpensive, gets the job done.

Now, I'm debating whether jumping barefoot on concrete might have triggered my foot problem. Doesn't seem to want to go away. Will stop jumping and go from there I guess Very Happy !

Pads are cheap,compared to surgery

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
1. Nice tip on the soccer cones, are they slippery when wet?

2. These pads from NSI are pricey iirc. Have you tried rubber sheets? Seems to be working well, durable, inexpensive, gets the job done.

3. I'm debating whether jumping barefoot on concrete might have triggered my foot problem. Doesn't seem to want to go away. Will stop jumping and go from there I guess Very Happy !

1. Been using them for years w/o any problems. I don't stand on them, and they're surrounded by waffle-grid deck pads anyway.

2. Waffle-grid pads do SO much beyond just pad the deck. As described many times here, they help protect the deck (thus saving repair cost/hassle/downtime/resale), cushion our joints, protect our groin from doing the splits, protect from broken toes by preventing sliding into the uni (been there; cost me a season), and often improve a board's cosmetics. Given all that, I couldn't care less how much the pads cost. What's your groin worth to you? (I can't imagine how slippery wet rubber sheeting material would be. My bare feet can hydroplane on the most aggressive OEM or aftermarket anti-skid goop I've ever seen.)

3. I suspect you found your cause, and a bruised joint, tendon, or ligament can take many months to heal ... if properly pampered.
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. How do you slog?
2. Wet rubber gets really good traction, example: car tires Smile I use them to secure outhaul lines, prevent boom head from sliding, protect my hand to downhaul, etc.
2a. I guess this answers 1, I could contact cement some pieces of rubber on the disc cones!
3. Yes, injuries can be so mysterious sometimes.

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
1. How do you slog?
2. Wet rubber gets really good traction, example: car tires Smile I use them to secure outhaul lines, prevent boom head from sliding, protect my hand to downhaul, etc.
2a. I guess this answers 1, I could contact cement some pieces of rubber on the disc cones!
3. Yes, injuries can be so mysterious sometimes.

I very seldom slog. I prefer to just rig bigger. And when I do slog, there's lots of room for my forward foot without jamming my toes into my uni. I rely on traction instead of the uni for drive.

Racing slicks suck in the rain.

I doubt any adhesive would stick to the PE cones. Sounds like the much bulkier standard volcano pads are your best bet.

If your foot ailment is bruised tendons or ligaments, I'd omit the "sometimes". Those components just don't get enough circulation to heal as rapidly as muscle. Maybe an FIR (far infrared) heating pad would accelerate healing. (Ordinary heating pads heat just the skin, not the underlying structures.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: