myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Caution! You may get injured laughing if you watch this vid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Caution! You may get injured laughing if you watch this vid Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4__lSdM9IKo

enjoy with a kiting friend...

DC
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That IS a hoot.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But hardly reality. No windsurfers I know can perform to world champion standard in very big surf.

It is generally accepted over here that kite SURFING, in big messy blown out conditions is safer than tackling the same on a windsurfer. They prove that regularly. The obvious advantage they have is that as long as they keep the kite flying (blown out surf means windy) they can loft themselves up over big walls of white water, or change direction very quickly and safely.

Several of our regular kiters are ex windsurfers (some kite foil in difficult muddled chop conditions) and they are in no doubt about which is relatively safer, and can tackle conditions that they were wary of in windsurfing days.

I prefer windsurfing ( though no longer in big messy higher wind conditions) but I accept that it is now the minority view, and no, I do not want to foil - that latest must do! (I even still use a longboard for cruising. (Shock, horror! Rolling Eyes )
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet, when it's cross offshore with waves, there's not a kiter to be found and the windsurfers and having the times of their lives. At least that's how it is in RI.

BTW: SUP Sailing (longboarding) in waves is a blast! I'm surprised more folks don't do it but it's made me a better windsurfer overall.

DC
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Kite boarding in surf, it's safer, and as a result less interesting.
But easier for the unwashed masses ;*)

-Craig

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
But hardly reality. It is generally accepted over here that kite SURFING, in big messy blown out conditions is safer than tackling the same on a windsurfer. I prefer windsurfing ( though no longer in big messy higher wind conditions) but I accept that it is now the minority view, and no, I do not want to foil - that latest must do! (I even still use a longboard for cruising. (Shock, horror! Rolling Eyes )
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcharlton wrote:
BTW: SUP Sailing (longboarding) in waves is a blast! I'm surprised more folks don't do it but it's made me a better windsurfer overall.

Agreed! I've sailed my windSUP in big Gorge conditions many times. Its primary purpose is light-wind wavesailing, but longboard it ain't. It will toss into my Outback and I have longer windsurf board sinkers, and it taught me much about WSing at both ends of the wind spectrum. It just might be my go-to board when my 24/7 fatigue level ends my WSing for good.
outcast

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever/Whoever....pretty sure it's Thomas Traversa in the vid...Funny as shit!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much as we prefer windsurfing, and think it's superior, I'm not blind enough to ignore the 'fact' that kiting (over here) is now the main thrill water sport.

Anyone who doubts, please Google the storm conditions video of KITER JUMPS BRIGHTON PIER. Easy? Boring? Unfit? (Unwashed :wink ) I don't think so!

Just glad windsurfing came first, and I got hooked on that! (Too old to change horses now. Laughing )
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiting is more popular and always will be because it is easier (ergo
the Edward Bulwer-Lytton paraphrase) , I mean it's almost jet ski easy,
at least that's what all my Kiter friends say. I've had Kite gear for years, learned to
fly the Kite well enough, but with competing sports for my time, it looks like
I'll have to retire before I can get proficient (though they tell me it only
takes about a week). Plus I really want to learn to
foil (fortunately I'll have easy access to a foil rig next spring in the Gorge)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrSwP_ATiB0

;*)

-Craig

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Much as we prefer windsurfing, and think it's superior, I'm not blind enough to ignore the 'fact' that kiting (over here) is now the main thrill water sport.

Anyone who doubts, please Google the storm conditions video of KITER JUMPS BRIGHTON PIER. Easy? Boring? Unfit? (Unwashed :wink ) I don't think so!

Just glad windsurfing came first, and I got hooked on that! (Too old to change horses now. Laughing )
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm! The easier argument applies to most things in life - for those who have no passion.

The majority of windsurfers are not looking for that which is easier, but that which satisfies their needs, which implies some degree of pushing to improve their skills. No different to those enthusiasts who are 'into' kiting. The fact that the basic process of kiting is easier than the basic process of windsurfing is probably the reason they are able to 'push' into tougher situations than an equivalent windsurfer.

Last time out I was struggling with a 5.0 sail in our typical very gusty conditions ( half time off the plane - half time nearly overpowered) which limited me from venturing into the rougher parts. Half a dozen kiters were ripping it up with no such restriction. (Easier in the sense that the kites gave them more consistency.)

The obvious can't be ignored. I defend my windsurfing purism as that which satifies me, while conceding that the local kiters have the upper hand, performance wise. That probably explains why I now appear to be the only windsurfer still defending it, on our local beaches. (Not even any winsurfing light wind foilers!!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: