myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2020 Fanatic Freewave perfect blend btw stb & classic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Also Severne Dyno has been getting some good reviews. Reply with quote

https://www.windsurf.co.uk/test/severne-dyno-105l-2019-test-review/
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I've seen MANY folks spend $beaucoup on customs only to be very disappointed, to the point of just living with them, returning them at a loss, or just getting rid of them. This has applied to extremely knowledgeable experts to ordinary recreational sailors who read good things on the internet about a brand.

Maybe this was true one or two decades ago, although, quoting personal experiences, my custom Rogue Wave board, around 1998, was just lovely.

Nowadays custom boards, Flikka, Nelson, Goya, are all built using CNC milling of the blank, and the process gives a complete control on the shape of the board.

Constructions wise some would argue that custom are better built than, for example, Cobra. I don't really care about having that discussion but it is true that you can customize the construction too, and that is a benefit if you are, for example, a heavy or light weight. Both Flikka and Goya also produce non-custom boards by the way.

For sure my custom built Flikka Foil is quite stunning ... and cheaper than any brand out there. A modern Flikka "Slalom-Wave" 62x225 with 40 cm tail, 95L, deep tuttle foil compatible, is on my horizon. Want a "semi-stubby" compact board ... just talk to the shaper.

IMG_1153.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.65 KB
 Viewed:  16266 Time(s)

IMG_1153.jpg

Wavedave38

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: just want the scoop Reply with quote

I am sure their are other nice boards out there but info on experience using the 2020 fanatic freewave , like the 105 would be great.

Thanks
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my rock-solid Rogue Wave because I had tested and loved Lee's boards long ago. It is WAY up there on my Cold Dead Hands, Mind-Reader, Mistake-Proof list. When I phoned him to find out more about its history, he and I were surprised to learn that it was his own, long-lost, one-off, personal board. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

It cost me less just a few years ago than our 50th wedding anniversary lunch for two last week.

The disappointed custom board buyers' remorse problem is far from over, and has included some MAJOR bombs by MAJOR shapers and builders from the Gorge to the far reaches of the world right through 2019. Computer shaping MAY guarantee consistency, but one of my bigger breakthroughs was due to a software error that produced a game-changing winner.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, I'm almost done, please open other thread if you want to talk customs.
Here, it's Fanatic Freewave zone Smile !

EDIT: wooo, ok I'm done... a lot of work!
Donate if you can / like/ want / wish, I would really really appreciate it Smile !!!

http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/board-tests/

Wavedave38

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: follow up Reply with quote

Hey Manual
nice review:
question, I found the fanatic freewave stubbies a bit bouncy and uncomfortable in the chop at cabarete. Do you feel the 2020 board is much more well behaved to that one in this area, more like traditional?
The freewave stubbies tended to tail walk a little in the chop , bouncing me around. When I tried putting just one larger fin on the freewave stubbies it tended to stick out past the tail.
I notice less tail length on the 2020 past the back strap compared to traditional. do you foresee the same issue with the 2020 as with the freewave stubby with putting a larger fin on it and it hanging out past tail or not?

In the end , if it is like my 2015 fanatic freewave but even better , that would be great. let me know

Thanks Bud
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
Here, it's Fanatic Freewave zone Smile !

Donate if you can / like/ want / wish, I would really really appreciate it Smile

And while you're at it, please send me some money, too.

That seems to be OK in this thread.. Smile
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on all the reviews I’ve read I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to get a 2018/2019 shape 115 L for my local conditions - Florida space coast wave sailing. I weigh 80 kg and my most used sail is a 6.7 followed by a 7.5. So if anyone is disappointed with their Stubby FW 115 L please PM me.
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, no surprises, I'll confirm about the fin later.

Cape, yes stb for upwind abilities, cruising ease and fun factor. 2020 for technical ease, chop and overall control.

dmilovich

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Cape,
I'm 80kg, adv. sailor, and happily use my 2018 FW STB Txtreme in small waves in SPI and Quebec. 6.1 sail is most common, plenty of slog and ride with some missed pivot jibes (short wave period takes timing!), also lots of marginal planing to get to the waves for good fun. My 6.5 and 7.5 are a bit heavy/clumsy for me in any surf, but work really well on that board when powered for B & J in SPI (Laguna Madre) or Utah.

Key point for me is to have really good fins as the stock FW STB fins don't cut it. Further, in SPI I'm in weeds inland, but not in surf. Quebec weeds in surf as well. Board runs great with 21-25 cm center fin and 9-10 cm thrusters. Small fins = skatey and carving feel even with the 115. Hence the large sails not desirable in surf for me. Your skill level they may be just fine. Always a balance between getting upwind in side-off versus riding qualities.
Dimitri
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: