myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
4/3 Wetsuit Reccomendations
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killeen_john

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: 4/3 Wetsuit Reccomendations Reply with quote

I'm getting back into windsurfing after an extended absence due to a growing family and young kids at home. My 10 year old Neil Pryde 3000 Series 4/3 suit has either shrunk a little (I've lost weight myself) and/or lost some flexibility particularly around the shoulders/arms which is causing some fatigue while sailing.

I was looking to buy another 4/3 option to cover those in-between conditions in the Fall/Spring. I switch to a Kokatat Goretex drysuit when the water gets cold (mid 50's) and have other lightweight options for warmer conditions.

I'm currently shopping some of the more affordable options such as the ION Strike Element or Neil Pryde Rise and my top priority is flexibility. My older NP suits have held up well despite the cuts to the smooth skin and I know my size with them which helps where I can't try on locally.

Any first hand experience with these or any other flexible/affordable options that I should consider?
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 4/3 Wetsuit Reccomendations Reply with quote

I have been using BOZ 4/3 THermoboss for the last sixyears. https://www.wetsuitsboz.com/en/products/ Great Suit that uses closed cell Yamamoto neoprene (it is 99% impermeable). Very light, warm, lasts me 3-4 seasons. You can have it custom fit if you want.

Last edited by dvCali on Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
ctuna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rip Curl Flash Bombs are nice and warmer than there
size would reflect. (three year warranty I believe.)
Also you have to ask yourself what kind of wetsuit you want.
A lot of them have multiple internal flaps and panels and can
be Hell to get into . You need to hire someone to help you get
into them hard.
I like traditional back zips with a minamum of Internal Panels.

All the brands fit different so you really need to try some to see
which fits you best.

Last edited by ctuna on Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total
rigitrite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a total convert to Neil Pryde wet suits. I have three: a Rise shorty, Rise 3/2 full, and a Mission FZ 5/4 for cold water.

I've been really impressed with the flexibility and comfort. With a hood, boots, and 3-fingered lobster gloves, I can sail for 2 hrs in 45 degree water without my arms getting tired (that'd be wearing my Mission 5/4).
The newer suits are SOOOOO much better than even 10 years ago. Much more comfortable and flexible.
So, 1 vote for NP.

dllee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All suits are goodn
The one you pick is the one that fits you the best
Without knowing body type, recommendations mean little.
Some suits are for the tall and skinny.
Some for big torsion
Some for short limbed.
The fit models are different people, who probably are not built like you.
killeen_john

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:

Fair point, I'm 6'1" and 185 pounds, 34" waist. I typically wear a 44 regular suit tailored for more of an athletic cut (broader in the shoulders and narrower at waist). My previous NP wetsuit was a good fit in size XL/54.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

185 should mean a loose fit everywhere.
If you need chest room, Body Glove or Aleeda provide for barrell chested dudes.
Medium chest size in Quicksilver and Exel.
Skinny torson..but enough shoulder. In RipCurl and Oneill.
NP is wider side, big cuffs and looser fit, like Q and Ex.
All suit stretch some, but a good fit depends on your body type compared to the company's fit model's body shape.
Lots if windsurfer's want loose forearms, so windsurf specific suits are cut that way while surfing suits are cut tighter.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killeen_john wrote:
dllee wrote:

Fair point, I'm 6'1" and 185 pounds, 34" waist. I typically wear a 44 regular suit tailored for more of an athletic cut (broader in the shoulders and narrower at waist). My previous NP wetsuit was a good fit in size XL/54.
Not to repeat but the Boz comes in 17 sizes and you can get a custom fit Boz for what was a $50 extra two years ago.
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promotion Wetsuits at wetsuit.com have wetsuits cut for windsurfers. I have been satisfied with my 5/4/3 in water as cold as 50 Deg F.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with ctuna on at least two counts: Most size charts are nearly useless, and these flip/flap/flop overstretched body condoms are a major hassle to don and doff, especially if fitted by a size chart. I'm amazed at the number of people willing to take them off (and having to put them back on) for anything short of packing up and leaving or going to bed.

OTOH, adding a simple ribbon lanyard to the back flap makes a HUGE difference with some flip/flap/flop suits. My O'Neill Super Freak Technobutter 3 wrist entry (OK, neck entry, but you get the point) suit benefited tremendously from a flap lanyard, but I can wear it only because I bought it three sizes too large according to their size chart. Their 2XL (or a 3XL) would fit you perfectly if their outstanding performance and comfort are worth the hassles. (I'm 5'8.5", 175, and wear the same suit coat size as you, and the main fitment issue is its extra leg length. I'd buy a 3XL next time.)

Promotion's products and size chart are among the industry's best, their personal size advice is exceptional, and they may still have a significant sale going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: