myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why foil....fin vs. foil
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local spot is Lopez lake near Pismo beach Ca. The winds funnel up the canyon and it has a Gorge like affect. Warm wind and water spring to fall. Yesterday was the first day I got chilly without a wet suit. Just a cover up.
6.0/5.5 the normal W/S sail in season. I at 165 lbs. on the 2020 Naish 1150 wing have been foiling 4.7 or smaller since October and 4.2 In the summer before the wind picks up. 4/5 WS days a week or more in season and almost daily foiling wind sometime in the day. Several world class wave spots with in an hour drive. It does get busy in summer and weekends are pretty crowded.
Week days work best in summer. Water level is always a concern if we don't get rain...
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What concerned me about Lopez is the ranger's lack of knowledge about ws gear.
After 6 trips to Lopez, they still start out arguing that I had to pay for each board, even with a ranger who let me in for ONE fee just before who was standing by.
Some trips, we had 6 we boards and 4 surfboards for 2 guys.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the issues with foiling as mention, here is my take. Its all true. I now take 2 trips to the water instead of one but if I get to the lake 2 min. earlier, I hit the water at the same time. Its actually easier on my back than carrying a board and a large sail at the same time. Shallow water can be an issue. That said I started foiling on a 15inch mast and was amazed how small of a sail I could use and get on a plane. Even fly and touch down without a crash. Crazy fun and safe. I almost thought why go higher. As for putting it all together,
my Naish foil connects with a slide in box and one screw to secure it all. The aluminum mast and carbon foil is very lite and stays assembled behind the seat of my truck. Easier than a Tuttle box fin with two screws. My Foil board is
122 liters and fits in my 6'6 inch truck bed on an angle with my high wind WS board on top. My whole quiver for wind fun is 3 sails, 2 boards, 3 masts and some bases. Its easier to find room in my garage for my big sail, 5.8 than my old 7.5 490 mast and long boom. launching and landing was a hassle at first. Now its a bit more difficult than getting a WS board in and out but no real hassle. Gotta up haul sometimes but that goes with foiling. I mostly water start now but up haul happens. I"M not telling anyone to throw away your windsurf gear and go foiling. Just stating what I learned since I started. And if your on the fence give it a try. Seven here did and all are having a lot of fun...
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
My local spot is Lopez lake near Pismo beach Ca. The winds funnel up the canyon and it has a Gorge like affect. Warm wind and water spring to fall. Yesterday was the first day I got chilly without a wet suit. Just a cover up.
6.0/5.5 the normal W/S sail in season. I at 165 lbs. on the 2020 Naish 1150 wing have been foiling 4.7 or smaller since October and 4.2 In the summer before the wind picks up. 4/5 WS days a week or more in season and almost daily foiling wind sometime in the day. Several world class wave spots with in an hour drive. It does get busy in summer and weekends are pretty crowded.
Week days work best in summer. Water level is always a concern if we don't get rain...

Thanks... and yeah, you're in a WINDY place!!
And your light weight helps a lot (of course that is ALSO true with regular windsurfing).
With your windy spot, heavier guys will have the same fun as you (finning or foiling) just using bigger sails.
Again I agree with your perspectives. And as said, windfoiing has opened up a lot of fun in diverse conditions Smile

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
What concerned me about Lopez is the ranger's lack of knowledge about ws gear.
After 6 trips to Lopez, they still start out arguing that I had to pay for each board.

That was the basis for my Lopex complaint posted decades ago. $76 just to eat my damned sammich in the park while just passing by on a calm day, my ass.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that one. I still get a annual pass for $100
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
NOVAAN wrote:

Thanks... and yeah, you're in a WINDY place!!
And your light weight helps a lot (of course that is ALSO true with regular windsurfing).
With your windy spot, heavier guys will have the same fun as you (finning or foiling) just using bigger sails.
Again I agree with your perspectives. And as said, windfoiing has opened up a lot of fun in diverse conditions Smile

Even for a light weight the difference is quite remarkable. This time of the season I am generally out with my Isonic 111 and a 7.3 Switchblade. Enough to go around nicely powered to under powered, 26-28 knots max speed. This year in the same light wind conditions people in my weight "class" were on a foil with 4.8 and 5.2 sails, happily cruising around. Even at my hopeless level I was foiling with a 4.9 3-batten sail (5.4 ACX would have been better). A light weight (I am 156 pounds right now) seems to get going with very little surface.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add this:
My foil board and sails fit in my lockable roof box, so I can have them on the car 24/7 if desired. Not possible with other light wind gear since I'm limited to a 82×240cm space and can just squeeze in board, boom, masts plus 2-3 sails.

Also I'd much rather carry a foil setup (even a heavy one) over a raceboard and +9m down the beach any day.
amarie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking in from one of the identified "snob" areas, haha. (Although I love light wind freestyle and as long as it's blowing 12+ I'll rig and have fun). I got to try foiling in the spring. I loved the smoothness and the silence. I only did it long enough to get flying in straight lines, so I haven't learned the turns, which I'd like to. I can see how it's addicting. Yet I also don't see myself transitioning, for a couple reasons. First, I feel like it's only a matter of time before I would connect with the foil and get really hurt (I know, don't let go of the boom, but especially when learning new turns etc, you don't always have control over how you fall.) I also don't like how it takes a gear-intensive sport and makes it even bulkier to transport. It's not a knock. Just a reason I'm not buying the gear at this point. I'm glad the sport exists. I'd like to dabble more, on friends' gear or rentals, and I'm keeping an open mind. Maybe that handheld wing sail thing will make it less gear intensive. I haven't tried that and would like to. For now, as a lighter than average windsurfer, I am mostly just happy that I now have some more company on marginal days from our couple foilers.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 5-14 mph day, with gusts close to 18 and lulls down to 2. Why 2? Like I'm already slogging and head into a zone I can barely keep standing with a 6.6 cam sail.
Without a foil, I would have gladly stay on shore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: