myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
gear in van
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW,
When home in Colorado, I take the screws out, after sailing. My next location may be higher than the 6000 feet elevation I’m at. One of my favorite spots , 11,111, and to get there I go over passes that are 12,000, this is feet above sea level.
When I go to California, Hood River or OuterBanks I leave the screws in while there, removing on departure.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
The other board had a top delam from heavy use (~150 sessions) and (again) very light construction. The foam was crushed over a wide area.

I'll bet that could have been prevented or greatly delayed by adding deck pads. Add traction, comfort, reduced joint trauma, zero chance of forgetting them once installed, and in some cases cosmetics, and ya got a win/win/win/win/win/win scenario. I buy the material with 3M self-stick backing from NSI in Hood River by the full sheet in many colors and have put them on scores of boards with great results in all six win columns.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gary,

I'd forget my head is it wasn't attached ;*) Pants are pretty obvious, but I'm
sure I've forgotten them on occasion, and heck yeh, when I've been on
meds (I'm not right now) I definitely forget them.

I leave all my boards with fin in, another less thing to occupy my mind when
heading for the water.

Ever forgotten your harness until you try and hook in?

-Craig

U2U2U2 wrote:
Forgetting to install the vent screw is interesting, do you remember to install pants when you wake up?
Take your medications / vitamins? File your tax return ETC ETC etc

Fin ?
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Ever forgotten your harness until you try and hook in?"

I've done that, but more often I put on my seat harness but forget to tighten the webbing on the spreader bar. Another embarrassing classic is forgetting to remove the fin cover after installing the fin.

Regarding deck delaminations between the front and rear footstraps, I learned from Mike Zajicek back in the 90s that ESP foam density is quite variable from spec. I have a couple of his boards that eventually got soft in that area after many years of use. It's not surprising that they were the lightest of the many boards that he made for me. And, anyone who is familiar with Zajicek's boards knows he's not one to build a questionable product.

Mike also shared with me a simple test to learn how fresh your board is over time. Take a quarter on edge between your fingers and repeatedly tap the bottom of the board in areas under the footstraps, and then compare with different areas, particularly in the front 1/3 of the board. If the board is tired and reaching the end of its life, the sound in the tail area will lack the crispiness and resonance you will find forward on the board. You have to remember that the bottom of your board takes one hell of beating over time given your weight and the impact over rough water. Add lots of jumps into the mix, and I think you can get the picture.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
boardsurfr wrote:
The other board had a top delam from heavy use (~150 sessions) and (again) very light construction. The foam was crushed over a wide area.

I'll bet that could have been prevented or greatly delayed by adding deck pads.

Very unlikely, considering that the first signs of softness were under the front footpads.

I checked with a repair place about fixing it but he did not want to touch it. His advice was to keep sailing it until it broke completely.I did that, and the softness spread slowly. Eventually I did a repair, mostly to see how it's done. Proper reconstruction (dig out, rebuild, sandwich, glass) worked, PU plugs not so much - the softness spread to the back of the board, requiring a second repair. I can see why the experienced repair guy did not want to touch it!
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:

Mike also shared with me a simple test to learn how fresh your board is over time. Take a quarter on edge between your fingers and repeatedly tap the bottom of the board in areas under the footstraps, and then compare with different areas, particularly in the front 1/3 of the board. If the board is tired and reaching the end of its life, the sound in the tail area will lack the crispiness and resonance you will find forward on the board. You have to remember that the bottom of your board takes one hell of beating over time given your weight and the impact over rough water. Add lots of jumps into the mix, and I think you can get the picture.

Nice test. When I recently install foil tracks in a team edition freestyle board, I was quite surprised to find a double sandwich layer at the bottom under the rear straps. I don't know how far forward it extended. There also was a double sandwich near the fin, with a small region of just a single sandwich in between. The double sandwich looked like it was close to indestructible, even the router complained a bit Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: