myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lightwind test of new SS infinity 99 wing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Lightwind test of new SS infinity 99 wing Reply with quote

Fantastic test in super light wind conditions of the 2020 slingshot infinity 99 wing this week, footage was 2 evenings back to back. Its a monster at 2371 cm2 surface area.

I was short on time, and was using the 42 rear wing in position B on the fuselage, so still more tweaking to be done with using the 48 rear wing in position C for maximum light wind lift.

to foil in 5-10 mph* with a 125 liter board, 5.8 RAF sail, and I weigh 205 lbs is next level.

*does require full body pumping technique and gust timing, its not a static start.

https://youtu.be/6ahCHLUgs_Q

jlooby

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your take on top/cruising speed compared to the 84?

Joe
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlooby wrote:
What is your take on top/cruising speed compared to the 84?

Joe

Hey Joe,

I have broke my Garmin so I have to guestimate the i99 top speed of around 13-14mph, its definitely not the quickest because of the increased surface area etc. The slow/stall speed is very slow, but you can creep along in low wind speeds.

The i84 is still a great all round set up and I will still use this wing most of the time, the i99 will be for winds 6-12mph and for the sling wing/SUP foil board.

d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty impressive!

Do you use that same board for wing-surfing? Does it work?

PCfoiling

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
That's pretty impressive!

Do you use that same board for wing-surfing? Does it work?

Thank you, the 99 wing is next level for sure.

I have not used the wizard 125 for wing surfing yet, it should work in strong winds but for 15-20mph I have been using the Slingshot Out Wit SUP/Foil board. It has the twin tracks that allows me to move the foil all the way forward. With the 99 wing set on a short fuselage with the 48 rear wing, it allows me to pump the board up and pump through the holes. Still lots of testing to be done with the slingwing in stronger winds.

swingy 5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.07 MB
 Viewed:  22113 Time(s)

swingy 5.jpg

dcharlton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting! Were you on the Wizard? It's advertised as only working on the Levitator given the slide mast track system needs to be used to adjust for the wing size.

I love the 84 but also like the idea of getting going in 9mph winds. Would be great if it worked with the 125 Wizard.

DC
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcharlton wrote:
Thanks for posting! Were you on the Wizard? It's advertised as only working on the Levitator given the slide mast track system needs to be used to adjust for the wing size.

I love the 84 but also like the idea of getting going in 9mph winds. Would be great if it worked with the 125 Wizard.

DC

Yes, the Wizard 125.

the i99 works very well on both the wizard 125 with tuttle box and the Out Wit with sliding tracks (for wing surfing).

Maybe when they tested the i99 they felt like the foil had to be set much further forward but the couple days I tested it, I simply took off the i84 and bolted the i99 straight on. I had my doubts simply because I thought it had to be at least in the C position but B worked out very well.

I like simplicity, so I can now go to the beach with one windfoil board (wizard) and take a bunch of wings and rig a smallish sail, pretty ideal.

fathomfathom

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

How well does the 99 turn?

I'm finding the 76 is too fast and not enough lift to really surf the smaller swells/waves.

I'm mainly doing WWF (Wave Wind Foil) strapless on swell big and small mainly downwind, if lucky breaking side shore.
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fathomfathom wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

How well does the 99 turn?

I'm finding the 76 is too fast and not enough lift to really surf the smaller swells/waves.

I'm mainly doing WWF (Wave Wind Foil) strapless on swell big and small mainly downwind, if lucky breaking side shore.

Sounds like the i84/42 rear will be ideal for carving and turning in small surf if the i76 is not giving you enough lift?

We had NE winds last night and we get a little bit of swell as its onshore conditions, the i99 did turn ok, its slow (as expected) its main strength is getting you going in very light winds and very stable, and so the downside is speed and slow carving.

fathomfathom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 76 is lifting ok if big swell and you have speed.
For waves/swell, the swell speed is around 10-16 knots in 20-25 knots, hence don't need a fast wing but one that lifts and does not overtake the swell.
The 84 and 99 sounds like the right speed but are they turny enough (say, compared to Gofoil Maliko 200 and 280)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: