myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2nd (Lightwind) Board Advice Needed
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmclimbhigh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: 2nd (Lightwind) Board Advice Needed Reply with quote

Hey Wind Junkies!

I know there are dozens of threads out there with the same topic.....but I'd like to take a spin around the forum lake for myself.

I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a second board for the typical lightwind (8-14kts) days that frequent my area in the summer. Here is some info on my situation:

Main Season: Blasting 18kts Apr/May/Jun and again in Sept/Oct
Shoulder Season: Lightwind <14kts Jun/Jul/Aug
Current Setup: RRD Firemove 110L, 5.6, 6.4, and 7.2 sails
Skills: Planing in the straps, 50/50 waterstarts, flailing jibes, bump/jump flops
Me: 43 years old, 160 lbs

I'm not too keen on dropping $2k for a "lightwind" board with limited range. But, I do crave more TOW and I need a fix in the summer season. Having said that, I'm not opposed to dropping the dough on the fancy lightwind boards, but I'd rather pick up a more reasonable wide freeride board akin to my Firemove.

My question is this... what boards to you guys recommend? I know that I'd like to stay in the 80+ cm wide boards for early planing and less slogging. But, I'm torn on the actual size of the board? Futura 137? Rocket Wide 135? Galaxy 145? Geko 148? I do plan on picking up a Gaastra Matrix 8.4 soon (it fits on my 460 mast) as well. How big is "too big"? And, is this too similar to my 110L Firemove?

Again, I know this topic has been swished around in the gear bag over and over. But, I'm definitely in need of a larger board. My wife would be quite pleased if I make a sound, educated decision before I make a purchase! You guys are on the hook for this one!

Thanks for your help. Of course, smart ass comments are always welcome Wink

Cheers!
Mark [/b][/i]
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skip the 8.4, get a foil for your existing board.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, something Like NP Glide M for 160 lbs, L for big, with paower box mount will allow you to foil in 10-15 mPh winds with a 6.0 sail.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you stated, this topic was just covered here

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34479&sid=e6bbfa0976f359a478272eff9b72715e

Any brand's high carbon content 80+ freeride board would work but it will cost money even used plus the cost of the Gaastra 8.4 will not be cheap. All that money will get you down to 11 knts if you are efficient at pumping. A used freeride foil would cost much less & get you passively flying around 10-11 knts

Coachg
mmclimbhigh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks CoachG. I'm not sure that I want to jump on the foil train at this point. I guess I'm more interested in finding out what size of a wide freeride board I should look into? I feel that a 135 liter board will be far too similar to my current 110L Firemove. If I'm just looking for more TOW, would you suggest a freeride board around 145L? I'm worried about the overlap of the two boards. I LOVE the RRD Firemove, but it's a bit of a slogger in light wind....
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extra float doesn't always equal early planning. Super wide boards doesn't always equal early planning. More sail power always equals early planning.
At your weight, try the big sail on the board you have before you spend big bucks on a new board. It might feel a little odd at first but give it a few sessions. If it doesn't work out, then think bigger board. Freeride 135 like the Rocket LTD or freerace boards like the Futura......I second the foil idea. I sail a gusty inland lake. 10 of the 11 locals have gone to the foil. Each one said they should have switched sooner. On days you might plane on a 8.0, guys are flying on 5.2 sails. You won't need to get huge masts, booms and a expensive sail. Foiling is crazy fun in lite winds and inland lakes. lots of deals on foils right now. After 36 years of windsurfing, my idea of a good day on the water has changed because of foiling. 10 to 15 mph winds and a 4.7 or a 5.2 is a blast. And way easier on the old bones
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kona might be fun in your lakes. Also if you do decide to go bigger board get one that is foil ready. Then you have the option. I do caution that everyone I know that got a cross over wind/foil board, after a few foil sessions, told me if they knew how much fun foiling is they would have went with a dedicated foil board..
alap

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmclimbhigh wrote:
I feel that a 135 liter board will be far too similar to my current 110L Firemove. If I'm just looking for more TOW, would you suggest a freeride board around 145L? I'm worried about the overlap of the two boards.

i have 115 2 year old Blast and about 5 years old Fanatic Ray 145 liters, 81 cm wide. This is a perfect combination.

I typically use 145 l with 8.5 and 7.0. I can use it with 6.0 provided it is flat water. I can uphaul 8.5 in any condition (even with 1 second interval waves in the downwind side of a lake). When it is planing it is exactly the same feeling of flying as on any other smaller board (- not as planing on Formula, which is different ). When wind dies and you have to shlog - I learned how to shlog upwind on it easily.

When I was buying 115 last year I was thinking that it is mostly for 7.0 wind -I had 103 liter Exocet carve about 15 yrs old that used primarily with 6.0. When I came to the beach next day it was blowing 6.0 and I wanted to try this Blast, so I went out. In last two years my Exocet 103 was not used even once. I sailed 6.0 with Blast all the times, and couple times with 7.0. I bought a 34 cm fin for Blast to use it when overpowered, but it never happened, wind increased and I always went straight to 5.0+90 litres.

7.0 on this Blast can be uphold almost all the times. However if there is a 1 second interval wave on the lake - with my skills it is impossible. Uphauling 6.0 on this 115 is easy.

Anyways, for me 6.0 is a choice sail for Blast, 8.5 for Ray and 7.0 can be used with both.

About the lightness that cost money. Ray 145 is carbon, the lightest construction at the time. I had also Ray 130 before (before Blast). It was exactly same shape as 145 but bamboo construction. After I bought 145 I stopped using it, 145 was much better in all conditions, so I sold it and increased the gap. When I was buying Blast it is in the same construction that Ray but it was renamed. There was also "technora", but I didn't go for it. So light "carbon" construction for both boards - and grateful that I decided not to save money!

also free ride or free race... free ride is more forgiving so the smaller one is freeride for higher wind. When water is flat, why not free race??

I also have Formula about 15 yrs old. I now use it for really light winds with little promise of flying. Depends on how high are my hopes for few gusts of course Smile Sails from 8.5 to 4.5 But this summer I bought 30 yr old Fanatic Ultra Cat - and it became my choice for those light conditions. I never used my Formula since I bought FUC

To sum things up - my advice for your second board something 80+ wide and 140+ volume in light construction
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

145 - 155 liters and 80-90 cm wide freeride or slalom board with a 46-56 cm fin would make an ideal platform for the 8.4. However, like others I'd recommend trying the 8.4 on your 110 l Firemove first to see if that does the trick. Could be that with a little bigger fin and more outboard footstrap positions the Firemove handles the 8.4 OK.

Also, although you probably don't want to hear this, foiling is the bees knees, and you could be effortlessly flying all over the lake in 10 knots with just your 7.2 if you got something like the NP glide foil.

grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$900 for a new NP Glyde that fits in your trunk beats the heck out of $3k on another board/sail. Plus if the wind comes up its a 1 bolt rerig.
At 185# I'm foiling with a 7.2 around 8-10kts, 5.2 at 14-15kts with way more ability to link up gusts compared to running a fin/big board. All on a 122L board quite similar to yours. Only on the very lightest days do I want a bit more board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: