myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness line position on boom for large sails
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ittiandro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Harness line position on boom for large sails Reply with quote

I will be using next summer a new 220-280cm Teknosport Race carbon boom extended to 260 cm because of the width of the sail.
I read different opinions on the proper position: some suggest as little as a couple fist-lengths from the masthead , others suggest as much as 1/3 of the boom length! This would have the lines at about 80 cm(!) from the mast head, which seems a LOT.

I'd understand a few inches latitude, but here we have a 25 inches difference. I'll be experimenting on the beach in due time, because we are still under 2 ft of snow here. Just wanted to have a preliminary idea.
Also would the lines position have to change for light or stronger winds? By how much, roughly? I am sailing mostly in light winds( 12 knts). No planing, because of the conditions here, mostly subplaning on a Bic Core 293.
Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks

Ittiandro
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waay back from what you use on a smaller sail.
But it depends on the draft location of your sail after final tuning.
A good start, front line mount around 20" from front of boom arm for big sails.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article somewhere that the rear attachment should be 1/3 of the way down the boom. The writer came to that conclusion after measuring the positions of a number of pro windsurfers.

I measured my strap positions and they were pretty darn close to 1/3. So, I would go with that as a starting point. You have to start somewhere!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd throw them on the boom, sail 100 feet without using them until I find the balance spot, adjust them to span that spot, and fine tune as required.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ittiandro:

in light winds 12 knots/22 kph I probably will NOT be in the harness
while sailing without harness you will have pressure point about the middle between your hands
that is good starting point
adjustment from there is minor ...

joe
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harness line position for every sail is different, and then there are variations based on wind speeds.

If you have wind on the beach, you can stand the sail up and find the point where you can hold the sail steady with one hand. Attach the lines about 4" either side of the balance point. Go sail and see how it feels. How far apart the lines attachment points should be is a matter of debated and personal preference, but 8" is a good starting point.

If the wind is light, the lines may need to be move closer to the mast, or if the winds are strong, the lines may need to moved back on the booms. These adjustments are somewhat small, maybe only an inch or two at a time.

Experimentation is required.
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set up the rig-downhaul, outhaul everything. Then measure from the front of mast to the end of the extended boom. Find the 1/3 of that lenght and put there the back end of the harness lines. It's a good starting point, but usually it's less then that-you'll find the sweet spot after you start sailing. On modern sails a fist distance between the both ends of the line is ok, but on your old NP sail it might be a lot more since it's not stable as a modern sail-if at all. Find the spot by feel and don't shy from having the lines wide.
Then comes the boom hight aswell, someone suggested that the boom cutout may be too high.

image.jpg
 Description:
...sigh...
 Filesize:  164.41 KB
 Viewed:  17278 Time(s)

image.jpg

konajoe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Harness line position on boom for large sails Reply with quote

ittiandro wrote:

I read different opinions on the proper position: some suggest as little as a couple fist-lengths from the masthead , others suggest as much as 1/3 of the boom length! This would have the lines at about 80 cm(!) from the mast head, which seems a LOT.

It just goes to show you that you can't believe everything you read on this, or any other forum. Forget that 'few fist lengths from the mast' completely. Also avoid generalizations like 1/3.

Rig your sail the way you want it. Note where your hands are when you are sailing. Center the lines between your hands. The harness lines are substitutions for your hands. If you weren't using your harness, you'd find that your hand position would need to change when the wind speed changes, or the sail tuning changes, or even when you point of sail changes. So, it makes sense that you would want to change your harness lines.

An advanced technique for sub-planing conditions is to have your harness lines slightly favored toward your front hand. In light wind, it is super easy to over sheet when using a harness. Slight back hand pressure is a way to assure yourself that your not over-sheeted.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a weird thread, just start sailing and you will know right away where the lines belong Shocked Rolling Eyes
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
What a weird thread, just start sailing and you will know right away where the lines belong Shocked Rolling Eyes

This demonstrates the fact that being a good sailor doesn't make that person a good instructor. Can't relate to beginners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: