myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
A tip for beginners trying to get in the straps
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: A tip for beginners trying to get in the straps Reply with quote

I finally got it, and there was one little piece that no one told me that made all the difference. All the other advice is out there and good, but there is one thing people who know what they are doing seem to take for granted and ive never seen in any of the countless tutorials and dvds and expert advice. The biggest thing for me was to get in the harness first and near the straps as suggested. The thing I have never heard and made all the difference was getting in the straps really quick and then almost falling back into the harness and taking most of the weight off my feet. Every other time I would get in and sink the back, all the while trying to keep "mast foot pressure and not move things too much and falling in/going to windward every time. Throwing my feet in the straps without worrying too much about speed and trim and immediately dropping in and almost hanging straight down on the harness got me going great. Hope I can help somebody with this Very Happy

In summary: when you hear "keep mast foot presure", dont think just pushing down a bit with extended arms will do it, you need a majority of your body weight hanging on the boom and off of your feet. Once your feet are in the straps, put as much weight as you can on the harness to bear off and keep your feet light. Harness before/after straps is a personal preference, but wither way, you should be in the harness and sunk into it immediately after getting in the straps

Last edited by mchaco1 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: A tip for beginners trying to get in the straps Reply with quote

The unknown secret of Mast Foot Pressure, discovered independently..

Good on ya,

-Craig

mchaco1 wrote:
I finally got it, and there was one little piece that no one told me that made all the difference. All the other advice is out there and good, but there is one thing people who know what they are doing seem to take for granted and ive never seen in any of the countless tutorials and dvds and expert advice. The biggest thing for me was to get in the harness first and near the straps as suggested. The thing I have never heard and made all the difference was getting in the straps really quick and then almost falling back into the harness and taking most of the weight off my feet. Every other time I would get in and sink the back, all the while trying to keep "mast foot pressure and not move things too much and falling in/going to windward every time. Throwing my feet in the straps without worrying too much about speed and trim and immediately dropping in and almost hanging straight down on the harness got me going great. Hope I can help somebody with this Very Happy
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: A tip for beginners trying to get in the straps Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:

I believe that whole concept -- relying on leaps of faith and/or strength rather than sound technique -- will, in the long term, hamper most people's progression.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A tip for beginners trying to get in the straps Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:

Good on ya,

-Craig

Im not claiming to have discovered MFP, just remarking that the way its generally described makes sense to those who are windsurfers, but not to those who arent quite there. It wasnt an break through moment in technique, but a break through as in " ah thats what they all mean" just trying to describe it better for those who havent gotten it yet, rather than the vague " keep pressure on the mast foot" that is almost always mentioned in how to's
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A tip for beginners trying to get in the straps Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

I believe that whole concept -- relying on leaps of faith and/or strength rather than sound technique -- will, in the long term, hamper most people's progression.

the point was proper technique, but in less vague terms "keep pressure on the mast foot" doesnt really sum up that you need most of the pressure there, not just to push down a bit with your arms.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've argued for decades that the two best keys for getting our weight on the MF to promote planing are using the harness and optimizing front foot weighting and placement towards that goal. The responses, in the hundreds if not > 1,000, have ranged from rage to insistence that's wrong to demands that I STFU. About 10% of them concurred, while some keep insisting we must rely on muscle power, actually walk forward to the mastfoot, and/or ignore or even violate some laws of physics to get most of our weight on the MF while getting planing.

Congratulations for figuring out some parts of that challenge on your own.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A tip for beginners trying to get in the straps Reply with quote

I wasn't casting aspersions (though in retrospect, it does sound a
little smart assed). I think it's very cool that you came to it through your
own devices. If I offended you it was not my intent, and I apologize.

I have enjoyed your "perspective" since you started posting.

-Craig

mchaco1 wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:

Good on ya,

-Craig

Im not claiming to have discovered MFP, just remarking that the way its generally described makes sense to those who are windsurfers, but not to those who arent quite there. It wasnt an break through moment in technique, but a break through as in " ah thats what they all mean" just trying to describe it better for those who havent gotten it yet, rather than the vague " keep pressure on the mast foot" that is almost always mentioned in how to's
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: A tip for beginners trying to get in the straps Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I wasn't casting aspersions (though in retrospect, it does sound a
little smart assed). I think it's very cool that you came to it through your
own devices. If I offended you it was not my intent, and I apologize.

I have enjoyed your "perspective" since you started posting.

No problem, my original post was a bit rambling and lacking in solid point Laughing I knew there was one in there somewhere but I hadnt quite figured it out yet. I wanted to write something down before I got complacent in the straps and forgot the feeling of figuring it out.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not completely understanding this. So get in the straps and use the harness right away?
acctx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: A tip for beginners trying to get in the straps Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:

Good on ya,

-Craig

I agree mast foot pressure is a stupid term that doesnt make any sense when you are learning. Instead, lean against the harness so you can take pressure off your feet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: