myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why do we want to get new people into Windsurfing?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thombiz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Why do we want to get new people into Windsurfing? Reply with quote

In another thread there is a discussion about marketing windsurfing to which age group, however, there is a bigger question. Why market and promote windsurfing at all? Why not let those interested seek it out on their own and forget all this promotion jazz? Getting more people into the sport is just going to crowd the venues, so why not just let participation seek it's own natural level, a bit like dinghy racing has done?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of the mind that promoting windsurfing really doesn't work. Now, I'm not against promotion of the sport, because there's always a slim chance that new folks could ultimately become windsurfers, but I think that most promotional efforts usually come down to simply entertaining folks for a period of time. Of course, for some of those promoting the sport, it's a business. But, I wonder whether those that are exposed through the promotional side of things will ever really become windsurfers on their own, buy the equipment and show up at the beach on a regular basis. There's a big difference between a casual fleeting interest in windsurfing and making it part of your life over the long haul.

I wonder how many of the 170 students that Britt mentioned in your other thread on the topic will actively become dedicated windsurfers. My thought is not many, but if even 5% start windsurfing regularly, that would represent some kind of success that would make the effort worthwhile.
spyder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do we want to get new people into Windsurfing? Reply with quote

thombiz wrote:
Getting more people into the sport is just going to crowd the venues...

this is the attitude that really bums me out ..... "more for me" and "stay out of my backyard"
human_catapult

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't disagree more. Windsurfing with friends is way more fun than without. Sailing alone, to me, is totally boring.

Also, all your beloved uncrowded spots could easily be closed to windsurfing if no one was there to make noise about it.

Perhaps economies of scale would make the gear less expensive if there were more windsurfers.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why promote? Do we want more sailors? Equipment issues and crowds aside, I think promotion, and thus increases numbers, would increase access. The more people you have doing a sport, the more people in power you have involved the better the access you will get and the better the facilities will be at the sites you sail at.

I’m sure we can all think of a place that could use better access or improved facilities like TI? So I guess by my logic we should promote to older people because they have voting rights.

Coachg
rsanrafael

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

human_catapult wrote:
Windsurfing with friends is way more fun than without. Sailing alone, to me, is totally boring.

Agree with the former, disagree with the latter. Windsurfing alone is way better than whatever comes in 3rd. As for marketing, throw it at everyone, see where it sticks. I have to say, though, as I get older I care less and less about the future of windsurfing. (I think most of us tend to grow more selfish as we age.) To paraphrase the great philosopher Opus the Penguin: Windsurfing ends in 16 years...sooner if I get hit by a barge.

Last edited by rsanrafael on Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
thombiz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons to promote the sport is that promotion will eventually speed the development of better equipment. Competition between manufacturers eventually leads to the development of higher performing and more durable kit.

I also think the social factor is a huge one. It's great to show up and see friends there to share the experience. Although I frequently sail alone, it's always good to see a friendly face, talk about whatever, and wind-up or wind-down a session. The stoke of some new faces is exciting and stimulating for my own passion for the sport.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: I agree with you on the equipment development part. Reply with quote

There has to be enough interest to keep the equipment part going.
But I don't want it to get as crowded as surfing has.
I can remember some pretty thick traffic an near collisions in the 90's
Now sometimes I have an entire sailing spot to myself and that's pretty lonely and maybe a tad dangerous.
Also now its hard to even give your used equipment away let alone sell it
for some small amount . yet the new stuff is Super expensive. ( compared to
what it was,no inflation yeah right.)
I wouldn't do this sport if I didn't live in place that has great wind most of the year.
which most people don't.
Also compared to something like skiing or surfing its very complicated and
equipment intensive.
You have to be on a mission to really get deeply into it.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I agree with you on the equipment development part. Reply with quote

ctuna wrote:

You have to be on a mission to really get deeply into it.

never thought about that before, the bride tells the dogs to get out of the way, when I'm loading up to go sailing ......... he's on a mission !

Because of the technical aspect, gear purchase, transport, lack of wind, too much wind , a new commer would have to have a pleasant experience, then continue. Occasionaly I have someone ask about learning, I usually say go somewhere, warm and shallow, like Bonaire .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
haterrater

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Why do we want to get new people into Windsurfing? Reply with quote

thombiz wrote:
In another thread there is a discussion about marketing windsurfing to which age group, however, there is a bigger question. Why market and promote windsurfing at all? Why not let those interested seek it out on their own and forget all this promotion jazz? Getting more people into the sport is just going to crowd the venues, so why not just let participation seek it's own natural level, a bit like dinghy racing has done?

uh....

I hope this wasn't a rhetorical question.
Why market and promote windsurfing at all? Maybe the answer would be "Because windsurfing is the most amazing thing I have ever experienced and my world stopped the first time I uphauled a windsurfing sail and moved across the water. Shouldn't I want to share that same experience with others?"

Come on, we each got into this sport because it was an experience like none other. (that's why we also got born, too [not windsurfing, but that other amazing experience - but that's another topic that need not be discussed on this forum Wink]).
The least we can do for our brothers and sisters is to show some humanity and let them experience the same awesome power we feel every time we get on the water.

Oh, btw, dinghy sailing quite aggressively promotes and advertises its various brands to others. It's called heavily stressed youth programs. It's called thousands and thousands of dollars pumped into US sailing for advertising and the propping up of youth programs (oh, I mean those thousands of dollars go to suing a windsurfer, but they're supposed to go to the development arena....).

-the harry mater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: