myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
turn up for jump, slow down a lot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazykite2002

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: turn up for jump, slow down a lot Reply with quote

When I turn upwind to get up on some swell for a jump I often slow down enough that it kills my ability to jump. When I sweep the sail back a bit and do some foot steering it feels like the rail is trying to sink under my feet and water comes over. Turning the other way (downwind) doesnt feel the same way nor do I loose speed.

board is a JP freemove, 89L, 261cm x 57cm. Ive only been sailing a 5.5 w/ a 12.5 (slightly sweeped) fin lately but I think it happens in high wind too but cant remember. Im 160 lbs.

I think this is suppose to be a pretty turny board (it turns GREAT going downwind).... any ideas ?
outcast

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: RE: turn up for jump, slow down a lot Reply with quote

maybe turning too early, and trying to jump a ramp that is too high(upwind)?....they always look better upwind in bump and jump. Id blast straight and fast until the ramp shows itself at the last second just in front or slighty upwind ..sweep sail back only as you are actually on the ramp
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: RE: turn up for jump, slow down a lot Reply with quote

If your inside rail (windward, if swerving upwind) is sinky, youre not going nearly fast enough. That inside rail should feel rock solid. Get up more speed, swerve into the ramp at the last second, and youll hit it with more speed.

Mike \m/
kencarp

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: RE: turn up for jump, slow down a lot Reply with quote

Also if youre in open ocean swell youll typically find the SECOND ramp of a set is a bit steeper so bear off on the backside of the first ramp and at the last moment go vertical on the second ramp and youll be able to sky your jumps....good winds.....
stinkydo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: RE: turn up for jump, slow down a lot Reply with quote

Plane around on a reach, looking ahead for a white cap. The chop behind it will be steeper.

Cross the white cap bump ahead of the breaking section, absorbing it with your legs.

Back off of your speed by letting out with your backhand, carve slightly upwind, slowly reaching in for power.

Pop off the chop, sheet in, tuck your legs in and bear off (slightly to beam reach again) while remaining tucked.

As you start to come down extend your legs to meet the water landing tail first in the beginning, flat landing next, then a slightly nose scoop-landing last.

Let me know how things go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: