myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
land windsurfer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spreadeagles77

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: land windsurfer Reply with quote

anyone know how i can get my hands on a land windsurfer? the kind thats just a skateboard with off-road wheels and a mast base. there was a guy at the BoardSports swap meet in Berkeley that had one, so if you read this let me know.
wiamea

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: RE: land windsurfer Reply with quote

actually you could make one, find a large skateboard 36 to 48 inches, make sure it has wide truks wheel base 8 to 10 inches. drill a hole to accept your mastfoot, attaching that to the board, loosen the truks so itll turn reasonably easy, hook up a sail perferably some thing in the 4.5-5.0 range, mast, boom etc. ps. Id use junky stuff cause asphalt and cement are tough on equiptment!! also watch 4 traffic!!!
carl

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: RE: land windsurfer Reply with quote

S.E.
You may be thinking of the Terraboard. Its bigger than a skateboard and has big 5 off-road knobby tires that can run on a beach or dirt. Very well made and heavy duty. Murrays has them on-line. I sold mine cause there isnt a flat and hard enough sandy beach around here (SFbay) to run on. On a grass field you need a lot of wind, but at that point, may as well just go windsurfing. It goes on pavement or hard dirt but,,,,,,definatly wear a helmet and watch that shoulder/knee too!!
higgybaby

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: RE: land windsurfer Reply with quote

Was that the guy in Sylte?
jonmckee

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: RE: land windsurfer Reply with quote

Actually Ive got one collecting dust in my basement. let me know if interested.
ray123

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: RE: land windsurfer Reply with quote

Hey,
I bought on of those boards from terrasports. But the problem is that they dont really work where one would want to use them..i.e...the beach and you dont really want to use them where they do work...parking lots etc.
Its a good idea in theory but in practice not that great.
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: RE: land windsurfer Reply with quote

D Lee,
So much name-dropping on your part but you cant remember Craig Stroetzel? Anyone considering this, please wear a helmet. The life you lose could affect someone else!

mo
carl

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: RE: land windsurfer Reply with quote

True, but I think it would work good on a flat hard sand beach like Daytona or So Padre, just watch out for vehicles and beach goers. If you had a flat hard dirt area it would work but it may have rocks and holes to trip on. Soft dirt or sand is not good. I thought it would be good on a soccer field, no way. A correction to my last post: mine had the 10 O.D. off-road tires. I think the big tires are safer than regular skateboard wheels though, theyll just run over any rocks or debris. The skateboard style looks more manuverable for clean parking lots. Im sure age is a factor in the appeal of this sport, younger folks heal quicker (but wear that helmet anyway).
kencarp

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: RE: land windsurfer Reply with quote

Ive been skate-sailing for years in Santa Barbara, my set up is a sector 9 long skateboard which has cut outs around the wheels for hard carving turns. I simply drilled a hole right behind the front trucks and installed my mast foot. I use an old 3.7 jalama wave sail (dacron) and booms taped real cushy with bycycle grip. This set-up has given me YEARS of fun. good wind, Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: