myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 106, 107, 108 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: New Brighton 09-13-2015 Reply with quote

Had not been out in a while. Last weekend, Natural Bridges parking lot was full the two days I tried to sail there. And that was where the wind was.

Sailed New Brighton today. When I got to the edge of the parking lot to measure the wind there was a Humpback Whale, swimming back and forth feeding. Sometimes only 20 yards from shore! In such shallow water its belly must have been barely off of the bottom and when it charged after the bait fish it created quite a wake with its body invisible below the surface, just this pattern of waves generated. There were about eight SUPpers out and a kayak. They were all watching the whale as were the folk on the beach. Once the whale came at speed toward a paddle boarder on a green board. The wave pattern arrowed right for him. His legs got shaky and he fell off just as the whale went under him. He fell right on top of the whale. I do not know if he touched it or not.

It was only blowing about 5 to 6 knots, but I decided to rig the Ezzy 7.0 and Angulo and go. A guy said the whale had been cruising the beach there since ten in the morning and it was now approaching 2 p.m. After launching I cruised off the beach and once the whale went under me and came up on the other side. And once it came within 20 yards of me on the surface.

I left the whale to the paddle boarders and went up to Capitola looking to see if there was any of the south swell making it this far into the bay. Not much and not often, but I did catch a few ankle and knee high waves. I had fun on the three hour jaunt and was so glad to be back out on the water windsurfing again. Two weeks is like a drought.

W1
koogzah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice late-season turn out for the ebb at TI today - one rider counted 20 sails.
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday Berkeley on my 4.6....Woof!!
koogzah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semi-epic conditions at TI this afternoon
tomg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koogzah must be WB? He was the only one out at TI yesterday when I hit the water at ~415. And it was epic then sketchy. The 5.0 sail and 95l board was perfect for the first hour with the wind out of the south, with extremley 'challenging' terrain on the west side, and a negative gradient toward Pt, Blunt. But then, as one would guess, the wind line started to shrink further toward the island until only a ribbon of 20mph plus air was left, the skies darkened and a creepy mood took hold over the Bay. TI always an experience!
bert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Oyster Pt. on Tuesday Reply with quote

South wind at about 15 with gusts to 20 at Oyster Pt. Taking out a shortboard would have been iffy but no problem with the Kona Carbone. Took it out about 3 miles out to the channel. A bit choppy out there but the longboard cruised right over the chop. Thought about heading to San Mateo bridge but that would have been a 10 mile jaunt. The Coast Guard flew over me a couple of times to see WTF I was doing out there. Used a 7.3 North. You need a big sail to propel all that mass.
bprice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: A.L today Reply with quote

Fun but, early exit. First time I ever had to get off the water because of too much sea life. Enough said.
koogzah

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomg wrote:
Koogzah must be WB? He was the only one out at TI yesterday when I hit the water at ~415.

Or perhaps this "WB" was the only one you saw out there...

Hit the water just after 3:00 and back in by 5:30. Bumpier and lighter as you went north towards Angel - not sure why you stayed out there. Within 150m of the jetty it was smooth and ripping with some nice waist to chest high swell. Fully powered on a flat 4.7. I stand by "Semi-epic".
bprice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: A.L. nice Reply with quote

What a difference a day makes. Smooth DTL peeling head high wave sets with warm air and water. Almost all the crazy volume of sea life from yesterday had moved on. Today you could sail without feeling like you were in a frogger game.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject: Stick 18 and 19 Reply with quote

18 nice powered session with 6.6 and Isonic 111 A Good dozen people out, maybe tomorrow will blow again.

19: to make the Isonic 111 happy I am with the GPS 8.0. Turns out to be perfect conditions for it, powered up but not overwhelming. The Isonic is REALLY happy with the big sail and simply erases any trace of chop in its path. Nice speed too, especially when pointing down wind where the board powerfully cruises on autopilot. Good day to fine tune the HSM GPS 8.0. It pools like a track and is VERY stable when powered up. FUN! Very Happy Many people out, although conditions are light.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 106, 107, 108 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 107 of 329

Jump to: