myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tried Kiting?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsmike

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Tried Kiting? Reply with quote

Just a quick show of hands, to see who out there has bridged the gap, or thought about it. Me personally, would like to try it, but seems like it would get boring dangling around,spinning. It looks like you have way too much time to just sit and think, which is why I dont really enjoy sailing, unless theres a lot of crew to make it fun.

Anyway, if you have thoughts would be great to hear what are the pros and cons of checking out the dark side.
flaherty

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: RE: Tried Kiting? Reply with quote

I want to try it too, but I love WS, and dont want to start all over again, although I did learn to snowboard 3 years ago and Im 59,and it was very gratifying to accomplish that.
The thing Ive noticed is that everyone I know that went from Ws to Kiting, stayed with kiting, so Ive got to ask myself , why? In fact that is one reason why I havent tried it, I dont want to be a kiter/former windsurfer.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Tried Kiting? Reply with quote

I have done it-it was fun-but I have not got the fever for it yet. But then, the first time I tried windsurfing it didnt do anything for me either. I windsurfed a couple of times back in the early 80s, then didnt windsurf again until about 94 or 95. I have been sailing consistantly since.

Coachg
carl

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: RE: Tried Kiting? Reply with quote

Flaherty,
Maybe they dont go back to w.s.ing because they realize they forgot how to jibe and would no longer be able to show off. (and plus Leed would give them a hard time!)

I have thought about kiting but the launching/landing hazzards and difficulty still makes it unattractive to me.
stacya

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Tried Kiting? Reply with quote

I have tried my hand at kiting and enjoyed it alot, but not like windsurfing. For me, kiting will probably always be a sport that I will do whenever the wind is not optimum for windsurfing. I would suggest you at least try kiting to see if it speaks to you. Good luck.
WindSapien

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Tried Kiting? Reply with quote

Four or five years ago I won a weeks vacation in Baja @ Captain Kirks . They have a great setup down there and my wife and I have been back every year since. This year we are going twice. Since all expenses were paid save airfare, we decided to drop some coin on Kite lessons. My wife hated it and I got the hang of it(pardon the pun)pretty fast. A three hour lesson ended up lasting three days. I wasnt a very good student though because every time we would get set up and into the lesson the wind would come up to 4.0 and all I wanted to do was get on the water and rip with a sailboard. It was good to learn something new but Im a die hard and kiting isnt my thing. Also I have two good friend who have lost a total of three fingers doing it. Ill pass....WS
Windlover

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Tried Kiting? Reply with quote

I agree with Carl on the unattractive aspects, which also includes the cost. Lessons alone are high, plus equipment. Ive wsd for 20+ years and Im still learning new things. Ill leave the kiting to the show offs.
kencarp

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: RE: Tried Kiting? Reply with quote

Been windsurfing hardcore for years, Jalama, Arroyo, Maui, etc and just now have taken up kiting- let me tell you just launching the kite gets my heart going tuc,tuc,tuc.... Now isnt that what its all about Smile Ken, ps, I still will stick with windsurfing if its planeable.
shitan

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: RE: Tried Kiting? Reply with quote

Id rather be on a sailboat if the wind is down, not trying to swim back to shore w/a kite and lines. I have a really long way to go before i say im bored or done w/ WS. From flat water cruising through smoking bumpn jump to wave sailing and all the freestyle tricks, I feel i need to live 100 more years before i think a second of kiting.
tshred

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: RE: Tried Kiting? Reply with quote

Ive been windsurfing for 25 years, I started kiting in 99. I did nothing but kite for a couple of years then found I was getting bored and fat. I could do most of the tricks but that wore thin after awhile. Its such a simplitic sport (unless you are willing to pass the handle and do advanced wake board tricks). It requires no muscles, except for the thighs. Plus I started to realize the danger of the sport. (my observation is, world wide, one person dies a month kiting )

I went back to windsurfing in 2002, with all the new freestyle tricks I cant get enough. Windsurfing is a constant challange and every session is rewarding. Plus I have never done a better all around excersise.

I still kite on those low wind days <15, so its good insurance if Im stuck in Rio during the mid day lull.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: