myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard's wave boards too darn heavy!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the board bag method, two new leaks possibly detected.
Nose + rear strap insert. That's five as of today Very Happy !!!

Nose, tail, two strap inserts (one pin hole and other seems to be between insert and foam) and finally mast track cracked.

At what point do we start blaming the construction?

PS: The board bag method seems to be awesome, I'd recommend drilling both front and back, I didn't drill the front. I think I will for the next day.

Because if one were to vacuum out the moisture than how do we trouble shoot and find leaks in the first place???

rigitrite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.....that's a bit tricky. I think your best bet is to circle all the spots you know are leaking with a black Sharpie. Then seal them up later. If your board has a threaded vent port, then the only way to know for sure that it's leak proof is to use a manifold gauge set (like for HVAC service), construct a way to very gently pressurize the board via the vent port (that's the tricky part), close the valve on the manifold and see how long it holds pressure. I would guess that if it held 1-2 psi for for 30 min without dropping, it's probably good. It's important to remember that psi is alot of pressure, and that if you accidently shoot 10 psi into your board, you'll probably delaminate it.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black sharpie is a great method. With today's cell phones' cameras we can video the bubbles coming out and such.

I think leak testing is a good thing to do on brand new boards. Given today's board prices...

First thing I did was to set it in the sun for a little then sprayed the whole board with soapy water. I only found one, the hole inside the strap insert. Not any of the others produced any bubbles even the mast track. Possibly from being too small of leaks?

16lbs today, a milestone! Started off at 18. Looking a lot better. It did feel lighter especially towards the rear side especially when swinging side to side.

For the tail and nose, it's really hard to notice cracks given the looks (a mix of carbon, glass, resin and putty) so I was thinking, sand, glass and paint white.

manuel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made that hole where water was leaking from.

Last edited by manuel on Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, you really ought to have someone go to a Hood River swap meet, pick up a board, and ship it to you. Many boards in much better condition than yours are literally free -- as in discarded and on their way to the city dump -- so all it would cost is shipping. If you'd rather pay $30-$50 for a board that looks almost new, you'd have 10-20 options. A modern stubby in very good to excellent condition might cost $100 to $500. (CAUTION: you may have to wash it, or possibly even touch up a few paint scuffs, if you want it looking new.)

The next swap meet, however, is in March or April. If duct tape and chewing gum won't keep your board afloat until then, check out http://www.windance.com/Used-Gear-Used-Windsurf-Boards/ . Their condition grading is quite realistic, so you're not likely to be disappointed. They'll even strap on a live video cam and go over a board with you real time for a close examination. They ship tons of gear, and can probably get far better rates than a "civilian" can get.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every HR swap I've been to was +$300 for +10 year old boards and much more for something newer than 2015 with very few proper wave boards.

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but it's been 4 in a row and the best I've done is was $20 for a new extension. Debating if it's even worth driving from The Dalles let alone further.
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find some good deals on nearly new boards online which would match my criteria. It's just that timing sucks right now. First, I have only recently acquired the board. Second, since it isn't delam'ed yet then I might as well try duck tape and chewing gum first and hope it lasts long enough.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. If the ride is OK with you, then ride her till she fails, and call it good. Like I said before, you might get a couple of years out of it if you're lucky, and you do "reasonable" repairs.

-Craig

manuel wrote:
I did find some good deals on nearly new boards online which would match my criteria. It's just that timing sucks right now. First, I have only recently acquired the board. Second, since it isn't delam'ed yet then I might as well try duck tape and chewing gum first and hope it lasts long enough.
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, actually looking forward to seeing what difference 2.5lbs(3?) make...
Wind coming back tomorrow, however board isn't fully dry yet. Will be riding a quad for a while I guess Very Happy !

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Every HR swap I've been to was +$300 for +10 year old boards and much more for something newer than 2015 with very few proper wave boards.

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but it's been 4 in a row and the best I've done is was $20 for a new extension. Debating if it's even worth driving from The Dalles let alone further.

I get up at 2:30-3:00 AM to make swaps because it's a 150-mile drive one way for me. I make about 6 meets each summer because of the incredible boards I've bought at just stupid prices I've discussed ad nauseum here. But ya gotta take it seriously to get those deals often, including well-researched shopping lists, knowing what flaws to look for, avoiding chatting with friends until I'm through shopping, and making quick decisions on items and prices. I've paid $300 or more for only 2 boards -- fewer than 5% of the swap meet boards I've bought -- and they were unused current year wave boards. When I sold them years later I lost only $300 net and total on both boards combined. Most of my swap meet boards, even over 100 L, were wave boards. Only in the last couple of years have I tended, for specific reasons, more towards wave-biased FSWs in my largest boards.

I've also bought and sold many boards at the HR consignment shops, at good to great bang-for-the-buck deals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 7 of 16

Jump to: