myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Metatarsalgia, s it from stepping on mast base?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpeter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be gout, i have a good diet and dont drink and i get it sometimes. A few times i thought i injured my feet doing stuff and evetualy realized it was gout. Wierd ailment
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medical advise on a windsurf forum, always worth the money. Cents prob not.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
fanntom43

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Metatarsalgia Reply with quote

I'm a retired podiatrist, after 40 yrs. 2nd metatarsal is the longest met. and more easily traumatized. Can be from overuse, running, jamming the joint, etc. The connective tissue surrounding the joint is fairly slow to heal. Worst case can be a compression type fracture of the met head. Might want to have checked out so permanent, arthritic type damage doesn't occur. I usually place the patient in a rigid sole surgical shoe to immobilize the joint.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Metatarsalgia Reply with quote

fanntom43 wrote:
I'm a retired podiatrist, after 40 yrs. 2nd metatarsal is the longest met. and more easily traumatized. Can be from overuse, running, jamming the joint, etc. The connective tissue surrounding the joint is fairly slow to heal. Worst case can be a compression type fracture of the met head. Might want to have checked out so permanent, arthritic type damage doesn't occur. I usually place the patient in a rigid sole surgical shoe to immobilize the joint.

Might want to have it checked out. Good to best advise.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, no swelling or redness. Does seem to improve when not jumping off of this foot especially without shoes. Feels quite slow to heal. Ice only numbs but doesn't seem to help or speed up healing like with other types of injury.

Mornings have the least discomfort, evenings worse. Walking more to the side, minimizing weight load on the joint seems to help.

So did I learn that jumping barefoot over concrete isn't a good idea long-term or is it a foot shape issue poorly distributing load? Or both Very Happy ?

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might just be age, Amigo, which is harder to combat than injury.

-Craig

manuel wrote:

So did I learn that jumping barefoot over concrete isn't a good idea long-term or is it a foot shape issue poorly distributing load? Or both Very Happy ?

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some quick reading, barefoot anything seems to be better!

And from foot.com...

What causes metatarsalgia?

The most frequent cause of metatarsalgia is participating in sports or activities that put pressure on the metatarsal bones at the front of your foot.
The abnormal stress on your foot can increase inflammation in the metatarsal area. It can also irritate the tendons, ligaments, and cartilage around the bone.

Other causes include:

Shoes that don't fit right: Your shoes may be too tight, squeezing your foot. Or your shoes may be too loose, making your foot slide back and forth.
High heels or sneakers without adequate padding and arch support: These shoes can cause you to put more weight on the ball of your foot.
Foot abnormalities: High arches, a second toe that is longer than your big toe, calluses on the bottom of your foot, bunions, and hammer toe can contribute to metatarsalgia.
Extra weight: Being overweight or obese puts more pressure on your feet and metatarsal area.
Some diseases: Bursitis, arthritis, gout, Morton's neuroma, and small stress fractures in your toes and metatarsal bones can increase the stress on the ball of your foot.

Who's at risk?

Athletes who wear shoes with spikes or shoes without good support. Other people who have a greater risk of metatarsalgia include:

older people
women who wear high heels
people who wear ill-fitting shoes
people who have inflammatory arthritis or foot deformities
people who are overweight or obese

manuel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's finally getting better! It had been several weeks, worse being in October.
I have been walking keeping my toes straight, foot slightly to the side to minimize joint work/stress on that specific toe. Also, I'm more careful when jumping, I switched my jumping foot (odd but interesting feel!) and try to avoid slamming my feet down at the pop.

DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have four DaKine volcano pads that have never been used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: