myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why foil....fin vs. foil
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love the effortless glide of the foil and the smooth turns that can can be had. I live in a windy place (San Francisco), and yet foiling still has its place among many of the windsurfers here. Some only foil now, some tried it and hated it. Some of us do both depending on the conditions. It has greatly simplified my gear choices... I pretty much just rig my 4.0 these days. If the conditions are good enough for that to go windsurfing, I go windsurfing. If not, I take the foil board out. The ability to get upwind in iffy conditions at Crissy and to foil on the smooth, slopey swells under the Golden Gate Bridge makes magical sessions much more frequent. The feeling of making perfect feeling turns is mesmerizing.

When I go down to LA, I can foil at Cabrillo on 4.0 when the slalom guys are on 8.0s... and jibing in sub 15mph wind is really fun.

FYI: I'm about 195lbs riding the Slingshot Wizard 125, Infinity 76, S2Maui Jester 4.0.... and pair that with Fanatic STB or Stubbys in the 85, 88, & 95l range.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

You can foil into high enough wind to plug that 4.0 into your 95L STB?
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ws'd with Kev for 15 years, foiled with for 4 sessions.
4.0 for him foiling would be around 15-25 mph.
Ws starts at 25 gusts with 4.0, up to a tuned sail gusts to 32.
So, while no overlap, it can work as long as the wind doesn't drop back to foil speeds.
NO downhaul, outhauled so sail touches inside boom when loaded.
Absolutely NO loose leech.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Kevin,

You can foil into high enough wind to plug that 4.0 into your 95L STB?

yes, but as dllee writes, there's not a ton of overlap. definitely need to find a good 3.6 or 3.7 for foiling for 2020. something that has a similar feel to my Jester. Will be getting the Duotone Idol LTD in 3.7 for sure.

dllee's wind thresholds are about right. my 4.0 is more like a 4.5-4.7 power wise, and combine that with an efficient board, the wind minimum is something like 20ave w/ 25mph gusts. it's a good medium strength day in the Gorge, but any good windy day, and that 4.0 is likely on the big side (although I can hold it down, too).

I'm pretty dialed in on my freestyle sails. they are sorta like the old power wave sails.... draft forward and high, high aspect ratio, nice short booms, lots of rotation. downhaul tension can vary a lot depending on the rider and changes the feel quite a bit.

I set my boom at 148.... so i have this really maneuverable sail in typical 4.5 to 5.0 conditions (finning).
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping for a crossover with my 109L freestyle board with a 5.8-5.3 or so. Actually the plan is to foil with that board for a very compact quiver.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sail and fin tuning makes a big difference.
You know I'm a bad foiler.
Yesterday, way powered on 6.6 and Naish setup, working on full harness line pressure, foiled in 12-20 mph breeze for 21 jibes, then switched directly to 100 liter RRD for 20 minutes well powered, then switched back to Naish foil for 3 jibes....came in feeling lucky and not push it.
Wind stayed the same, other's foiling with 5.5's.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did use a 38 FinWorks blade instead of the normal 36 that always spins out.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantages & disadvantages of foiling have been discussed many times over so I won’t address that issue. This topic is why foil vs. windsurf & a key issue in that topic is will it increase your TOW.

We all have differing opinions on what size sail becomes too big and there are many factors that weigh in on that decision; location, size of the sailing area, wind strength averages, rig weight, vehicle, sailor size & ability to name a few factors. So, obviously sail size is a factor of TOW. Another key factor of TOW is the type of windsurfing you are willing to do/invest in. And yet another key factor is probably how long you have been sailing. Some of you sound tired.

For sailors like me, foiling has not increased TOW, it has merely replaced the type of gear I use on a given day. I’m not allergic to long boards & get on the water long before I or any other foiler can fly. The sailors that I have seen having their TOW increased are the wind snobs & the tired sailors. For them foiling has been a major revelation. Many of the “say no to 5.0” crowd at Sherman have now taken up foiling which gets them out on the water in winds under 20 mph for the first time in decades. At Sherman, it has doubled the number of sailors on the water when the wind drops under 20 so it has obviously increased participation there.

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my best days at Sherman Island were flood tide 12-17 mph days.
124 liter 12 lbs slalom board and 6.6 3 cam sail with a 44 cm fin.
Full speed flying from berry shore to past the 2 islands, 26 mph and not needing to pinch to get upwind... flat 6" windswells max.
40 would be windsurfers watching from shore, bigger guys slogging with 8 meter sails,
So now, I'd be on foil and 5.5.
But big guys would be foiling that day, on 6.5.
And we all would be going 17 mph.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: