myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Experiences while taking blood thinners and windsurfing.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must mention that an old acquaintance and long time Californian
windsurfer (moniker of WARDOG) used to tell me the Gorge was a
kiddy pool compared to real Ocean sailing. I used to be offended, until
I started sailing real waves, then I realized what he meant. I have
great RESPECT for Ocean sailors, the risk is higher for sure.

We definitely have our own tribes, but the Gorge seems to breed a
culture of acceptance rather than territorialism (I even have some kite
boarder friends ;*)). I do understand the irritation when someone who clearly
doesn't have the appropriate skills for the local launch or conditions goes out
and kooks it up though.

I'm not on blood thinners (I'm a reasonably healthy 63 year old pup by the
codger standard on this forum), but stopping something you love, because
of a fearful chance you might do damage or death, that can't be healthy
either physically or mentally (we're almost back on topic)

On the other hand, if your mind isn't free for the joy of the activity, if it's
always wondering whether you'll survive to the next outing, that seems
a good reason to quit, because it just won't be fun (at least it wouldn't
be for me)

Leaving people you care for or that care for you is also a
reasonable mitigating circumstance (at least in my opinion).

Well, I've gotten a bit preachy haven't I ;*) Age has definitely tamed me
(some) and I'm not what you'd call a brave person, though the words
foolhardy and stupid have been used on occasion ;*)

-Craig

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
I don't know if the same applies in the Gorge Craig, but most sailing or surfing beaches have their core of regulars which often results in a form of tribalism.

I agree with you Craig that with increasing age doubt needs to be firmly put in its place by determination to do that which we KNOW we have always been able to do, and still need to! And if it does go wrong - well, as you say, what IS the purpose of life!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
... stopping something you love, because of a fearful chance you might do damage or death, that can't be healthy either physically or mentally. On the other hand, if your mind isn't free for the joy of the activity, if it's always wondering whether you'll survive to the next outing, that seems a good reason to quit, because it just won't be fun (at least it wouldn't
be for me) ... Age has definitely tamed me

AGE hasn't tamed me, because it's just a number on a piece of paper. What HAS "tamed me" (i.e., made me more cautious) is the fact that my next medical problem, whether from physical injury or from disease, could abruptly end my WSing altogether. I've thus stopped even trying to sail in extreme conditions (e.g., anything likely to separate a shoulder or ragdoll me into a high impact, such as 38G50 mph). Healing time is important in the former, and internal bleeding is important in the latter. If the wind prohibits controlled crashes, it's time for me to change -- or eat -- something or take a break.

But stopping WSing isn't an option ... yet; I plan keep on sailing until I CAN'T sail any more. Fortunately, there's plenty of middle ground for compromises, beginning with cherry picking the conditions I sail in. When they, rather than operator error, begin to cause crashes or excess physical stresses, it's time for me to bag it until they improve. (Screw the people who criticize me for that.) I can no longer sail all day, so I'm happy to exchange threatening conditions for smoother wind and water.

Another solution is to acquire skills, techniques, and equipment that tame even excessive winds, within reason. Some of those even add to the fun and to one's sailing style repertoire.

I hate to even contemplate what blood thinners could do n the cases of big honkin' hematomas, sprains, charley horses, or even ordinary bruises. A nosebleed? Fugheddaboutit. But quit WSing altogether voluntarily? Fugheddaboutthat, too, until the risks get MUCH worse and are unmanageable.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll digress briefly in this paragraph and get back to windsurfing in the 2nd paragraph. What is the purpose of life? Over the years I've experienced expansions in the purpose of my life especially in regard to my wife, our daughter, son in law, grand children, other relatives, friends and along the way some particular causes.

What is the purpose of windsurfing in my life? That started from a desire to prove I could. Reminding me of my accomplishment of simply being able to windsurf at all in the mildest of conditions is still part of the purpose. The part which hooked me the most was a feeling of being in grace, being at peace in the gracefulness of being in balance with my surroundings. "Dancing between the light and the water." (Laurie Nidal). Adrenaline & planing are quite good, but the main event for me has always been being in grace. That is lucky for me; gliding on ice, packed snow, parking lot, or open water all work. Since June I've found sitting down sailing a 3 wheeled trike produces a similar kind of graceful gliding. If or when I need to stop stand-up sailing I will switch to sit down sailing & keep a feeling of being graceful. In my life of sailing with a windsurfing rig is a meditative practice; a practice with the purpose of helping me be sane, helping me enjoy my life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: