myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
A tip for beginners trying to get in the straps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acctx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:
I'm not completely understanding this. So get in the straps and use the harness right away?

I learned to hook in before I got in the straps to save my arms. What you end up doing is taking almost all the weight off your feet by hanging by your harness. This allows your feet to move around the board without sinking the rear. When you get light the board will take off.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:
I'm not completely understanding this. So get in the straps and use the harness right away?

I surely do. The more time and effort I delegate to hardware and gravity, the longer I can sail. I get in the harness ASAP to take the sail thrust load off my whole body (that load can be significant or even extreme on a tiny sinker in displacement mode), and get in the straps -- at least the back one, unweighted -- to provide better board control and prevent catapults in strong and gusty winds. I very often go from submerged up to my neck to a full plane on very rough water in less than two seconds (one swift motion), and I want to be belted into the driver's seat rather than an unbelted ragdoll in the back seat. I feel quite vulnerable with neither foot in a strap, fishing for both straps, when blasting across big, bumpy, high-wind Gorge terrain at top speed.

Mike \m/
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:

Basically, if you dont have most of your weight on the harness(or hanging from the boom on your arms, which I think is much harder) when your feet are in the straps youll sink/round up.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of focus these days on mast foot pressure. When I taught myself to windsurf in the mid 80s, I'd never heard of MFP. Nevertheless, I had no problem figuring out what was necessary to make everything work as it was designed to. That's the key really. Everything is designed to work, as long as you do what you're supposed to. It all comes together once you're able to move back, and get into the footstraps and rake the sail back. Its been noted that getting into the harness facilitates that, and that's true to a degree, it's not the real answer. Before I bought my first harness, I was sailing around planing in the straps no problem. I found that I just couldn't do it for very long before my arms got too tired. The harness just makes things a lot easier.

In a way, thinking too much about putting downward pressure on the mast foot is counter intuitive, and it may actually inhibit and delay learning. When you think about it, moving back into the straps and raking the sail back reduces the board's waterline back to the footstrap area, or even further. If one was always trying to press down on the mast foot, they would be trying to increase waterline. Is there MFP when you're planing around? Yes, but it's built into the design of the kit. In essence, it's virtually automatic if you're in the straps planing. That's not to say that getting the most out of everything is that easy. There are still a lot of subtleties that one needs to learn to improve one's technique.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. When I hit a serious wind hole while riding a serious sinker, I often just drop by butt or my whole carcass into the water and wait for the wind to resume. But if I see a gust coming, I may just hang out in the straps and harness for many seconds, with almost all my weight in the harness, until the gust arrives and I can pop onto a plane. It's a serious balancing act, but it's doable and it takes some of the PITA out of mixing serious sinkers with holey conditions. Of course, the right cure if this happens often is bigger gear.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
There's a lot of focus these days on mast foot pressure. When I taught myself to windsurf in the mid 80s, I'd never heard of MFP. Nevertheless, I had no problem figuring out what was necessary to make everything work as it was designed to. That's the key really. Everything is designed to work, as long as you do what you're supposed to. It all comes together once you're able to move back, and get into the footstraps and rake the sail back. Its been noted that getting into the harness facilitates that, and that's true to a degree, it's not the real answer. Before I bought my first harness, I was sailing around planing in the straps no problem. I found that I just couldn't do it for very long before my arms got too tired. The harness just makes things a lot easier.

In a way, thinking too much about putting downward pressure on the mast foot is counter intuitive, and it may actually inhibit and delay learning. When you think about it, moving back into the straps and raking the sail back reduces the board's waterline back to the footstrap area, or even further. If one was always trying to press down on the mast foot, they would be trying to increase waterline. Is there MFP when you're planing around? Yes, but it's built into the design of the kit. In essence, it's virtually automatic if you're in the straps planing. That's not to say that getting the most out of everything is that easy. There are still a lot of subtleties that one needs to learn to improve one's technique.

Planing out of the straps requires wind and your strength and body weight counteracting it to keep you on the board, the balance makes the necessary MFP, I think that when many people first get in the straps they use their body more as a rope between the straps and the sail and that kills the downward pressure and up pops the nose and down goes the tail. On the 80s boards with the mast tracks a foot from the nose the distribution made it much easier to keep the board in trim (im speaking as an engineer/smal boat sailor, not an expert windsurfer btw but the dynamics are still the same). Increasing waterline is a plus in planing, getting the board flat and trim increases waterline and maximum hull speed and makes increases in speed require less force and makes less pull on the board to get it over onto its own bow wave.The harness certainly inst necessary, but keeping that weight on the boom while doing everything else while bumping around and going fast is much easier when you can just sit down and let your body weight do it while you focus on the moving things.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, using gravity beats using muscle whenever possible ... consider herringboning up a snowy mountain compared to sliding down it.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A tip for beginners trying to get in the straps Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
In summary: when you hear "keep mast foot presure", dont think just pushing down a bit with extended arms will do it, you need a majority of your body weight hanging on the boom and off of your feet.

Well said.

I used to not understand how windsurfers could stand with both feet so far back on the board, but then I realized that the mast foot bears a ton of the windsurfer's weight onto the same part of the board where a surfer's front foot would bear his weight. Windsurfer's have a "third leg."

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2009/05/windsurfers-have-third-leg.html

Cool

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A tip for beginners trying to get in the straps Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
Windsurfer's have a "third leg."

Well, most do.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Increasing waterline is a plus in planing, getting the board flat and trim increases waterline and maximum hull speed and makes increases in speed require less force and makes less pull on the board to get it over onto its own bow wave."

With regard to windsurfing, I have to disagree, at least regarding boards which are designed to plane. First off, you have to have enough wind to plane. That's a necessary prerequisite. Now, I agree that there has been a design transformation in planing rockerlines over the years. Older designs, both those with the mast track more forward and those later developed around 1993 and later with a mast track placed further back, had longer planing surfaces because boards were generally longer and narrower. With the advent of very short and wide boards introduced around 2000 and later, the planing surfaces of rockerlines were shortened greatly. Still though, regardless of a board's age, the idea of planing was about reducing waterline and getting the nose and the belly of the board out of the water and onto the effective planing surfaces. That was the only way to overcome the board's bow wave. To prove my point, just check out any photograph of a good windsurfer planing. You can readily see the water being released off the bottom of the board in the footstrap area or behind. The faster you go, the water release point moves further aft.

Regarding the idea of MFP, somehow I think that folks have forgotten the fact that the sail rig itself develops a hell of a lot of MFP on its own. As I suggested earlier, it's part of the design of how things work. Admittedly, the sailor does introduce an important and necessary element in how everything works, but the idea that the sailor needs to introduce all this downward pressure is specious in my view. The idea of hanging on things and muscling everything around isn't what windsurfing is really about. As I see it, it's about balance and all the subtleties about finessing a sailing product designed to do a job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: