myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
My next board
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess we can agree to disagree. I’m not sure why you are trying to turn this into a finbox debate as I am in no way saying a powerbox is a better setup then a tuttle. The majority of my boards have tuttle boxes, including the 93 Starboard I bought last year. But in the 28-32 cm swept freeride fin range that he would likely be looking at there are far more options with a powerbox fin then a tuttle fin, at least in the 4 or 5 shops I looked at last year. The ratio is easily 4 to 1 in stock and some fins like the MFC Liquid Pro were unavailable at all in tuttle.

Also he is a beginner and likely to run a 3 strap setup which is much easier to manage with a powerbox fin system. And if he gets a Mistral he won’t even need a screw driver. Lastly, I’ve had to sand many tuttle & deep tuttle fin bases over the years but never a powerbox fin base. I know that means a tighter fit for the tuttle but I don’t feel a beginner would notice the difference, especially in the 28-32 cm range.

Again, I am not saying he has to buy a board with a powerbox fin system, but I think it is the best option for a beginner in the board range he is looking at. It may be a moot point as the majority of boards in that range are powerbox anyway.

Coachg
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A FSW in 95--105Liters is my pick, there are lots of good boards in this group. Naish, Goya One, RRD, JP, Tabou 3S , Starboard Kode are my first thoughts.

Most of these would have the powerbox, *Board probably A Box.

their would be some reasons to have a freestyle for the Delta, but more plus for the FSW, CHOP being the first.

Delta Windsurf can help make your decision easy peasy

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg,

Just to make you aware, the MFC Liquid Pro fins are available with either Powerbox or Tuttle configurations. That's good news for equipping your Starboard 93 before the season gets in full swing.

http://www.mauifin.com/fins/freeride/liquid-pro/
BLARBR119w

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,

I don't think I'm grown-up enough for the fin discussion yet. I've been sailing the ebb mainly because it's safer since I've been spending a lot of time practicing water starts. As that becomes less of an issue with an improved skill set, I might try sailing in a flood. But for the foreseeable future I'll stick to the ebb whenever possible. Can someone please explain to me how to tell the difference between a freestyle, freestyle wave, slalom and wave board just by looking at them? Appreciate all your comments.

Bruce
dcharlton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell the difference between the boards just by looking, but you can bet there's a big difference on the ride.

My suggestion is to go with a 100-104 ltr freeride board. You're at the same place I was 6 years ago and I swithched to a 104ltr Synchro and it nearly ruined my professional career as I kept ditching work to windsurf...no regrets!

Go with Freeride. If you can't tell what type of board it is, go somewhere you can and pick it up.

Have fun, you're on the cusp of the really good stuff!!!!!

DC
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
I am in no way saying a powerbox is a better setup then a tuttle. The majority of my boards have tuttle boxes, including the 93 Starboard I bought last year. But in the 28-32 cm swept freeride fin range that he would likely be looking at there are far more options with a powerbox fin then a tuttle fin

Absolutely. Boards with Tuttle boxes often go unsold at Hood River swap meets simply because Tuttle fins for freeride, FSW, W, etc. are so hard to find.

Mike \m/
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler,

PM me if you know which shop has them in stock. All the shops I looked at had pictures of both tuttle & powerbox, but no tuttle in stock & MFC didn't have any to drop ship to me.

Coachg
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg, I've never bought a MFC fin, so I'm light on how well they service their customers. Still though, I doubt that MFC would blow you off, because they clearly offer different base choices on their website. It just might take them some leadtime to get you the fin you want with a Tuttle box, as many fins are now being made in China, and I'm thinking that companies like MFC want to strictly control costs based on actual order requirements.

However, as I recollect, Kevin Pritchard is involved with them producing a different fin that he designed. He would be my first contact at Pritchard Windsurfing, especially given his relationship with both MFC and Starboard.

If your efforts prove fruitless, I can highly recommend the Tectonic Falcon and Goldwing lines as an outstanding alternative. Over the years I have been able to get what I want through either Mike Zajicek or Bruce Peterson at Sailworks. On some occasions, the fins I've bought were drop-shipped directly from Tectonics in Maui. Leadtimes for delivery have been very reasonable. Virtually, in-stock items.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the freeride.
I've been windsurfing short boards since '83, and a freeride is my board of choice for anything not wave sailing on the coast. I'm 147 lbs and first choice around 95 liters for Berkeley, where the slog is the longest.
Anywhere else, like Crissy, 3rd, Coyote, Pt.Isabelle, Larkspur, Rod, it'd be 85 liters.
For Rio, 85 and 70.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its too complicated to explain how to visualy tell the difference between the different styles, the terms needed would probably confuse.

take a look at a board site, fx Tabou that have a limited # of boards, and pay attention to the specs, width .

I think a freeride, is NOT the board that would BEST suit your needs.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: